all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* make-network-process on w32
@ 2005-02-14 20:04 Guy Gascoigne - Piggford
From: Guy Gascoigne - Piggford @ 2005-02-14 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone confirm that make-network-process actually works on NT. I've
started looking at fixing emacsclient so that it works on Windows since
I made the mistake of volunteering before realising just how little time
I have :)

Anyway, if I understand things correctly, I should be able to create a
connection something like this:

(setq server-process
      (make-network-process
       :name "server"
       :local (vector 127 0 0 1 9999)
       :server t
       :noquery t
       :service (expand-file-name server-name server-socket-dir)
       :sentinel 'server-sentinel
       :filter 'server-process-filter
       :coding 'raw-text
       ))

This actually works fine on Linux, but on NT the CPU pegs at 100%.  I'm
assuming that it's broken, but wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

Guy

* Re: make-network-process on w32
@ 2005-02-14 21:15 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-02-14 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Guy Gascoigne - Piggford <guy@wyrdrune.com> writes:

> Can anyone confirm that make-network-process actually works on
> NT. I've started looking at fixing emacsclient so that it works on
> Windows since I made the mistake of volunteering before realising just
> how little time I have :)

It only works for TCP and UDP sockets, not for local, though I'm not
sure what the below should give (the service looks like its for local
address family, but the docs suggest that (vector 127 0 0 1 9999)
should define an IPV4 address. I'm also not sure what sentinal's are
for and whether Windows supports them.

> (setq server-process
>       (make-network-process
>        :name "server"
>        :local (vector 127 0 0 1 9999)
>        :server t
>        :noquery t
>        :service (expand-file-name server-name server-socket-dir)
>        :sentinel 'server-sentinel
>        :filter 'server-process-filter
>        :coding 'raw-text
>        ))

Try something like:

(setq server-process
      (make-network-process
       :name "server"
       :host "127.0.0.1"
       :service 9999
       :server t
       :noquery t
       :sentinel 'server-sentinel
       :filter 'server-process-filter
       :coding 'raw-text
       ))

> This actually works fine on Linux, but on NT the CPU pegs at 100%.
> I'm assuming that it's broken, but wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

It should give an error rather than going into an infinite loop.

* Re: make-network-process on w32
@ 2005-02-14 21:57   ` Guy Gascoigne - Piggford
From: Guy Gascoigne - Piggford @ 2005-02-14 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

>Try something like:
>
>(setq server-process
>      (make-network-process
>       :name "server"
>       :host "127.0.0.1"
>       :service 9999
>       :server t
>       :noquery t
>       :sentinel 'server-sentinel
>       :filter 'server-process-filter
>       :coding 'raw-text
>       ))

That pegs the CPU as well, look like I'll be delving into this a bit more.

Thanks - Guy