all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to replace a character by an unprintable character ?
@ 2005-01-24 21:00 J?r?me RADIX
From: J?r?me RADIX @ 2005-01-24 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Using M-% or C-M-% how do you replace each `;' in

a;b;c;d

by a carriage return (<RET>) to obtain :

The FAQ is not very explicit on this :
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.text
Question 5.9
It only tells how to *search* for unprintable characters but not how
to replace a character by an unprintable character.

Emacs info file is not clear on this either ( C-h C-k C-M-% )

I've tried several things out in the replacement string without
success :

\n
C-q <RET>
[\n]
$
?\n

none of them work.

If you have an idea...

Thanks,
Jérôme.

* Re: How to replace a character by an unprintable character ?
@ 2005-01-24 21:07 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2005-01-24 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

jradix@bigfoot.com (J?r?me RADIX) writes:

> Using M-% or C-M-% how do you replace each `;' in
>
> a;b;c;d
>
> by a carriage return (<RET>) to obtain :

Type `C-q C-j' as the replacement string.

* RE: How to replace a character by an unprintable character ?
@ 2005-01-24 21:11 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-01-24 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Using M-% or C-M-% how do you replace each `;' in
    a;b;c;d by a carriage return (<RET>)
    I've tried several things out in the replacement string without
    success :

    C-q <RET>

`C-q C-m'    (C-m is RETURN.)

* Re: How to replace a character by an unprintable character ?
@ 2005-01-24 22:43   ` Jérôme Radix
From: Jérôme Radix @ 2005-01-24 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Drew for your answer.

I've tried that too :
C-q C-m writes ^M in the replacement string, and when doing the
replacement, I have the following
a^Mb^Mc^Md

It seems it comes from the different line separation conventions (unix
dos, mac...)

I can't figure out how to get

without closing/reopening the file to force emacs to guess in which line
separation convention to run (I don't know of a way to change it with a
single command...)

I keep searching...

@ 2005-01-24 22:47   ` Jérôme Radix
From: Jérôme Radix @ 2005-01-24 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jesper Harder a écrit :
> Type `C-q C-j' as the replacement string.

It works !!! Thanks a lot Jesper !