all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* CVS questions: multi-file commits, and branch reminders
@ 2004-12-19 16:47 Roy Smith
From: Roy Smith @ 2004-12-19 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way in CVS mode to commit multiple files at once?  The
behavior I'm after is what you get from the command line when you type
"cvs commit": all the files in the current directory are examined for
diffs and all of them that have changed are committed at once, with a
single log message.

The other nice thing about committing from the command line is the
template log message includes the branch you're committing on.  This is
a nice reminder that helps avoid ugly mistakes when you're working with
several branches at once.  Is there a way to get emacs to do that?

* Re: CVS questions: multi-file commits, and branch reminders
@ 2004-12-22 14:59 ` Leonardo Boiko
       [not found] ` <mailman.8502.1103843859.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leonardo Boiko @ 2004-12-22 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roy Smith wrote:
> Is there a way in CVS mode to commit multiple files at once?
I am interested in this too, as it would be great for subversion.
Also, for subversion, when I commit multiple files using the command
line, Emacs vc-diff seems to get confused.

--
Leonardo Boiko

* Re: CVS questions: multi-file commits, and branch reminders
@ 2004-12-23 23:03 ` Kai Grossjohann
       [not found] ` <mailman.8502.1103843859.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-12-23 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roy Smith <roy@panix.com> writes:

> Is there a way in CVS mode to commit multiple files at once?  The
> behavior I'm after is what you get from the command line when you type
> "cvs commit": all the files in the current directory are examined for
> diffs and all of them that have changed are committed at once, with a
> single log message.

I think you might like M-x cvs-update RET or M-x cvs-examine RET or
M-x cvs-quickdir RET.  That displays a buffer showing all files in
your working directory that are changed.  Marking some of them and
hitting c (or C) will commit them all in one go.  If you hit c or C on
a directory, all files below that directory will be affected.  So to
commit all files, hit c or C on the "." line.

c just commits normally, whereas C prepopulates the commit message
with stuff from the ChangeLog file.  I love that.  Edit code, hit C-x
4 a in some spot I've changed, compose a ChangeLog entry for that
spot, then, when done, use the C command from PCL-CVS (that's the
package implementing cvs-update and cvs-examine).

But you can also do C-x v d to get a listing of files, then mark some
of them and issue v v to commit them.

> The other nice thing about committing from the command line is the
> template log message includes the branch you're committing on.  This
> is a nice reminder that helps avoid ugly mistakes when you're
> working with several branches at once.  Is there a way to get emacs
> to do that?

Hm.  Not sure.  Never worried about template commit messages.  Hm.
Anyone?

Kai

@ 2004-12-24  0:27   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2004-12-24  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> Never worried about template commit messages.

apparently, there is a log-edit-mode-hook to customize, sometimes.
now you just have to worry if the emacs in question is new enough...

thi