all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Autoload failed to define function mwheel-install
       [not found] <mailman.14444.1103163918.27202.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-12-16 14:35 ` Bob Marcum
       [not found] ` <mailman.6541.1103208307.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bob Marcum @ 2004-12-16 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I received this message upon starting up emacs after upgrading from RedHat 7.1 to
Fedora Core 3, now using emacs 21.3.  I struggled for a while trying to determine
a solution.  A search using google for this error message found one person's
experience which gave some guidance.

I solved this problem by including the line (load
"usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/mwheel.elc") as the first line in my .emacs startup
file.

I know this is surely not the _right_ way to solve this problem.  This following
line should have solved the problem, but it doesn't.
( autoload 'mwheel-install "mwheel" "Enable mouse wheel support" t)
(mwheel-install)

I would have thought emacs would look in /usr/share/emacs/21.3 and all of its
directories to find mwheel.elc and resolve the reference to mwheel in the
autoload statement, but it did not.

Is this a bug or just some configuration error I have?

I post this for others who may encounter this error message.

* Re: Autoload failed to define function mwheel-install
@ 2004-12-16 15:51   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2004-12-16 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.12.2004 um 15:35 schrieb Bob Marcum:

> ( autoload 'mwheel-install "mwheel" "Enable mouse wheel support" t)
> (mwheel-install)

Shouldn't this be handled by loaddefs.el and ldefs-boot.el? And you
just use your mouse wheel ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _
           °\___o      /0~         -\<,              ^\___ /=\\_/-%
oo~_______ /\ /\______/ \_________O/ O_______________o===>-->O--o____
""

* Re: Autoload failed to define function mwheel-install
@ 2004-12-17 13:58     ` Bob Marcum
From: Bob Marcum @ 2004-12-17 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 16.12.2004 um 15:35 schrieb Bob Marcum:
>
> > ( autoload 'mwheel-install "mwheel" "Enable mouse wheel support" t)
> > (mwheel-install)
>
> Shouldn't this be handled by loaddefs.el and ldefs-boot.el? And you
> just use your mouse wheel ...
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete

Frankly, Pete, ya got me.  I haven't a clue.  Are you suggesting a
specific solution?
 If you are, please flush it out.  Show me how.

* Re: Autoload failed to define function mwheel-install
@ 2004-12-26 23:04   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-12-26 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bob Marcum <bmarcum@Houston.rr.com> writes:

> I received this message upon starting up emacs after upgrading from
> RedHat 7.1 to Fedora Core 3, now using emacs 21.3.  I struggled for
> a while trying to determine a solution.  A search using google for
> this error message found one person's experience which gave some
> guidance.

What happens if you do nothing at all to support the mouse wheel?  I
just started Emacs without customizations, and the mouse wheel worked
out of the box.  (But this was CVS Emacs, not 21.3.)

Try "emacs -q -no-site-file" and then open a file and turn the mouse
wheel to see what happens.

Kai

@ 2004-12-27 17:19   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-12-27 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bob Marcum wrote:
> I received this message upon starting up emacs after upgrading from RedHat 7.1 to
> Fedora Core 3, now using emacs 21.3.  I struggled for a while trying to determine
> a solution.  A search using google for this error message found one person's
> experience which gave some guidance.
>
> I solved this problem by including the line (load
> "usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/mwheel.elc") as the first line in my .emacs startup
> file.
>
> I know this is surely not the _right_ way to solve this problem.  This following
> line should have solved the problem, but it doesn't.
> ( autoload 'mwheel-install "mwheel" "Enable mouse wheel support" t)
> (mwheel-install)
>
> I would have thought emacs would look in /usr/share/emacs/21.3 and all of its
> directories to find mwheel.elc and resolve the reference to mwheel in the
> autoload statement, but it did not.
>
> Is this a bug or just some configuration error I have?

I suspect you've got multiple, incompatible versions of mwheel in your
load-path.  What does `M-x list-load-path-shadows' show?

BTW, here's all I have in my .emacs to enable the mouse wheel in Emacs
21.3 (i386-pc-solaris2.8, X toolkit):

(mouse-wheel-mode 1)

--
Kevin Rodgers