all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs with Linux mint: how to set up emacsclient
@ 2017-07-08 17:43 djc
From: djc @ 2017-07-08 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Linux mint (18.1 MATE) I've installed emacs 24.5.1 using the software manager. Now the "Open With" menu lists

    GNU Emacs 24 (GUI)
    GNU Emacs 24 (Terminal)

and I've set some file extensions to be associated with Emacs (GUI) by default. But what I'd really like is to do everything through emacsclient and get rid of those two entries. I'd guess I'm not the only person who prefers things this way.

Can you explain to me how to do this? That is, remove those two entries, add a single one for emacsclient, and associate certain types of files with emacsclient?

Thanks!

* Emacs with Linux mint: how to set up emacsclient
@ 2017-07-09  6:05 ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2017-07-09  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Any use?
https://bitbucket.org/rustom/vit-projects/wiki/emacsasdefault

* Re: Emacs with Linux mint: how to set up emacsclient
@ 2017-07-11 20:47   ` djc
From: djc @ 2017-07-11 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 8:05:15 AM UTC+2, Rusi wrote:
> Any use?
> https://bitbucket.org/rustom/vit-projects/wiki/emacsasdefault

A bit, thanks. I'd still like to know how -- in the Mint environment -- to get rid of the existing emacs "open with" entries and replace them with emacsclient.

* Re: Emacs with Linux mint: how to set up emacsclient
@ 2017-07-12  2:10     ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2017-07-12  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Short answer : Dunno!
Longer: Mint is probably irrelevant.
You probably want to run a search for
"gnome/unity/xfce/whatever remove desktop entry"

* Re: Emacs with Linux mint: how to set up emacsclient
@ 2017-07-12  7:07       ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2017-07-12  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 9:10 AM, Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:
> Short answer : Dunno!
> Longer: Mint is probably irrelevant.
> You probably want to run a search for
> "gnome/unity/xfce/whatever remove desktop entry"

The relevant specification is freedesktop.org Desktop Entry Specification.

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/

You need to create a desktop entry for emacsclient (the article linked
upthread walks you through that) and remove desktop entries for emacs
(that’s up to you if you really want it, but you might not need it if
you make emacsclient.desktop the default (which the article also
explains)).

Desktop entries are simple files, normally located in
/usr/share/applications or the ‘applications’ subdirectory of any
directory listed in the $XDG_DATA_DIR environment variable.