all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Search for text
@ 2006-07-26 16:15 john maclean
From: john maclean @ 2006-07-26 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi guys,

Basic stuff  here. Sorry if this has been asked before:-
 - Can one search for text at the location of the point? If a point is
within word "foo" I'd like to C-s <something> so that I dont have to
enter that word when promted for a search term
- I'd like to be able to search for say ^[a-g] with regular
expressions. Can any one point me to the location of the info doc?
- Finally I'd like to have all matching terms stay highlighted a bit
longer. C-s does highlight terms, but as soon as I C-v to look down
the page it's gone.

--
John Maclean  - 07739 171 531
MSc (DIC)

* Re: Search for text
       [not found] <mailman.4498.1153930516.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-07-26 16:25 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-07-26 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"john maclean" <jayeola@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> Basic stuff  here. Sorry if this has been asked before:-
> - Can one search for text at the location of the point? If a point is
> within word "foo" I'd like to C-s <something> so that I dont have to
> enter that word when promted for a search term

C-s C-w

> - I'd like to be able to search for say ^[a-g] with regular
> expressions. Can any one point me to the location of the info doc?

C-u C-s ^[a-g]

> - Finally I'd like to have all matching terms stay highlighted a bit
> longer. C-s does highlight terms, but as soon as I C-v to look down
> the page it's gone.

M-x customize-variable RET lazy-highlight-cleanup RET

* RE: Search for text
@ 2006-07-26 17:20   ` Drew Adams
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4507.1153943162.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-07-26 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > Basic stuff  here. Sorry if this has been asked before:-
    > - Can one search for text at the location of the point? If a point is
    > within word "foo" I'd like to C-s <something> so that I dont have to
    > enter that word when promted for a search term

    C-s C-w

    > - I'd like to be able to search for say ^[a-g] with regular
    > expressions. Can any one point me to the location of the info doc?

    C-u C-s ^[a-g]

Alternatively: `C-M-s' (then `C-s' for subsequent searches of the same
pattern).

    > - Finally I'd like to have all matching terms stay highlighted a bit
    > longer. C-s does highlight terms, but as soon as I C-v to look down
    > the page it's gone.

    M-x customize-variable RET lazy-highlight-cleanup RET

BTW, if you don't mind venturing beyond vanilla Emacs, you might also like
to try the crazy searching available with Icicles. This tells the story,
with screenshots:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Search_Enhancements#IciclesS
earchCommands.

* Re: Search for text
@ 2006-07-26 19:45     ` john maclean
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4507.1153943162.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: john maclean @ 2006-07-26 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

hrm, i think I'll stick to the vanilla emacs for a while until I know
what I can do with the basic. It's always tempting for me to want to
learn *everything*.
[off topic but related: I'm using Jed also and C-s C-w does not work]

On 26/07/06, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>     > Basic stuff  here. Sorry if this has been asked before:-
>     > - Can one search for text at the location of the point? If a point is
>     > within word "foo" I'd like to C-s <something> so that I dont have to
>     > enter that word when promted for a search term
>
>     C-s C-w
>
>     > - I'd like to be able to search for say ^[a-g] with regular
>     > expressions. Can any one point me to the location of the info doc?
>
>     C-u C-s ^[a-g]
>
> Alternatively: `C-M-s' (then `C-s' for subsequent searches of the same
> pattern).
>
>     > - Finally I'd like to have all matching terms stay highlighted a bit
>     > longer. C-s does highlight terms, but as soon as I C-v to look down
>     > the page it's gone.
>
>     M-x customize-variable RET lazy-highlight-cleanup RET
>
> BTW, if you don't mind venturing beyond vanilla Emacs, you might also like
> to try the crazy searching available with Icicles. This tells the story,
> with screenshots:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Search_Enhancements#IciclesS
> earchCommands.

John Maclean  - 07739 171 531
MSc (DIC)

* Re: Search for text
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4507.1153943162.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-07-26 20:26       ` David Kastrup
       [not found]         ` <mailman.4511.1153948047.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-07-26 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

"john maclean" <jayeola@gmail.com> writes:

> hrm, i think I'll stick to the vanilla emacs for a while until I know
> what I can do with the basic. It's always tempting for me to want to
> learn *everything*.

Have you printed out the reference card?  Should come handy.

* Re: Search for text
@ 2006-07-26 21:07         ` john maclean
       [not found]         ` <mailman.4511.1153948047.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: john maclean @ 2006-07-26 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I tend to C-h b then C-s for the function that I'm looking for. Sooo
many commands no point learning them all.

On 26/07/06, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
> "john maclean" <jayeola@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > hrm, i think I'll stick to the vanilla emacs for a while until I know
> > what I can do with the basic. It's always tempting for me to want to
> > learn *everything*.
>
> Have you printed out the reference card?  Should come handy.
>
> --
> David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

John Maclean  - 07739 171 531
MSc (DIC)

* Re: Search for text
       [not found]         ` <mailman.4511.1153948047.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-07-26 21:15           ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-07-26 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"john maclean" <jayeola@gmail.com> writes:

> I tend to C-h b then C-s for the function that I'm looking for. Sooo
> many commands no point learning them all.
>
> On 26/07/06, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
>> "john maclean" <jayeola@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > hrm, i think I'll stick to the vanilla emacs for a while until I know
>> > what I can do with the basic. It's always tempting for me to want to
>> > learn *everything*.
>>
>> Have you printed out the reference card?  Should come handy.

Well, that's just why the strategic set on the reference card is
helpful...

* Re: Search for text
@ 2006-07-27  9:00             ` john maclean
From: john maclean @ 2006-07-27  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Um, you have a url for that?

@ 2006-07-27  9:09               ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-07-27  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"john maclean" <jayeola@gmail.com> writes:

> Um, you have a url for that?
>
> On 26/07/06, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
>> "john maclean" <jayeola@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > I tend to C-h b then C-s for the function that I'm looking for. Sooo
>> > many commands no point learning them all.

>> Well, that's just why the strategic set on the reference card is
>> helpful...

Please don't toppost: the reading order is top to bottom.

refcard.tex (and probably also refcard.ps) are in the etc directory of
your installed Emacs.

* Re: Search for text
@ 2006-07-27 10:43                 ` john maclean
From: john maclean @ 2006-07-27 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 27/07/06, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
> "john maclean" <jayeola@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Um, you have a url for that?

> >> Well, that's just why the strategic set on the reference card is
> >> helpful...
>
> Please don't toppost: the reading order is top to bottom.
>
> refcard.tex (and probably also refcard.ps) are in the etc directory of
> your installed Emacs.
>
> --
> David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

Thanks! found it with `locate refcard` :-)
--
John Maclean  - 07739 171 531
MSc (DIC)

* Re: Search for text
@ 2006-07-27 15:50 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-07-27 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

john maclean wrote:
> - Can one search for text at the location of the point? If a point is
> within word "foo" I'd like to C-s <something> so that I dont have to
> enter that word when promted for a search term

`C-s C-w' if point is before "f", `M-b C-s C-w' if point is after "f".

> - I'd like to be able to search for say ^[a-g] with regular
> expressions. Can any one point me to the location of the info doc?

The "Regexp Search" and "Regexps" nodes are under the "Search" node.

,----[ C-h v lazy-highlight-cleanup RET ]

`----

--
Kevin

From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-07-27 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

john maclean wrote:
> I tend to C-h b then C-s for the function that I'm looking for. Sooo
> many commands no point learning them all.

Yikes, that must be frustrating.  Try `C-h a'.

--
Kevin