all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* HOME variable
@ 2004-09-10  4:01 Jaydutt Shukla
From: Jaydutt Shukla @ 2004-09-10  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is not a bug but I did not know where else to report it.

Emacs (v21.3) uses the HOME variable as its root folder and in the
installation instructions suggest using c:\Emacs as the root folder.
This implies that I have to set HOME to be equal to "C:\Emacs" This is
okay but when other programs also need the HOME variable it causes
problem. For example, I just installed Cygwin on my computer and it uses
c:\Emacs as its starting directory, which is very annoying because I
expected it to start either in c:\ or c:\%USERPROFILE%\. Users can
always work aroung by changing directory (manually or using scripts) but
that is not a good approach. So I suggest using the variable EMACSHOME
or something that would associate it with Emacs unambiguously.

Thanks
Jaydutt Shukla

* Re: HOME variable
       [not found] <mailman.2234.1094789271.1998.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-09-10  4:56 ` Kin Cho
From: Kin Cho @ 2004-09-10  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Use a batch file to start emacs instead:

set HOME=c:\emacs\
start c:\emacs-21.3\bin\runemacs

-kin