all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: bug in auto-capitalize.el
       [not found] <mailman.2018.1094672043.1998.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-09-08 22:15 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.2045.1094682093.1998.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-09-08 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman Werner wrote:
 > The following mail is from the original bug report to the maintainer
 > of auto-capitalize.el   kevinr@ihs.com
 >
 > Unfortunately the mail could not be delivered :
 >
 > SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<kevinr@ihs.com>:
 > host mail1.ihs.com [170.207.70.222]: 553 5.7.1
 > <kevinr@ihs.com>... norman.werner@student.uni-magdeburg.de not
 > allowed to send to recipient
 >
 > Since I could not contact the maintainer directly I am now writing to
 > your address

Please don't bother the Emacs maintainers with something they are not
responsible for.  If you had taken even a minute to search for me via
my name (on e.g. http://groups.google.com/) you would have found my
current address: <ihs_4664@yahoo.com>.

 > -------Beginning of Message ------------
 >

 > I experienced what I think is a bug in auto-capitalize.
 >
 > On (gnu)emacs 21.3.1 event-to-character is called with 4 arguments while a
 > maximum of 2 is allowed. So the debugger is entered.
 >
 > I think the offending code is in defun auto-capitalize:
 > (let ((self-insert-char
 >          (cond ((fboundp 'event-to-character) ; XEmacs
 >                     (event-to-character last-command-event

	nil nil t))
 >                (t last-command-event)))) ; GNU Emacs
 >
 > The comments indicates that you think that  event-to-character is
 > unbound in gnu-emacs. But it exists as a function of one (optional two
 > arguments.)

No, it doesn't exist at all in GNU Emacs 21.3.  You can confirm that
by invoking emacs with the -q and --no-site-file command line options,
and typing `C-h v event-to-character'.

You must be loading some kind of XEmacs compatibility package that is
ironically incompatible with XEmacs.

 > I propose the fixes :
 > (let ((self-insert-char
 >          (cond ((featurep 'xemacs) ; XEmacs
 >                     (event-to-character last-command-event

	nil nil t))
 >                (t last-command-event)))) ; GNU Emacs
 > Or
 >
 > (let ((self-insert-char
 >          (cond ((featurep 'xemacs) ; XEmacs
 >                     (event-to-character last-command-event

	nil nil t))
 >                (t (event-to-character last-command-event))))) ; GNU Emacs
 >
 > I couldn't test this since I don't have xemacs installed. But It should be ok

(featurep 'xemacs) is evil.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* bug in auto-capitalize.el
@ 2004-09-09  3:27 Norman Werner
From: Norman Werner @ 2004-09-09  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

Norman
--
Norman Werner  (Zi. 701)
Wolfgang-Langenbeck-Straße 8

norman.werner@student.uni-magdeburg.de

0176/24058063
0345/9592552

Ab Mitte September:
Norman Werner
Teuremertalweg 11/1
70839 Gerlingen

Tel:0176/24058063
Festnetz: noch nicht bekannt

* Re: bug in auto-capitalize.el
       [not found] ` <mailman.2045.1094682093.1998.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-09-09 16:02   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-09-09 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
  > Norman Werner wrote:
  >  > The comments indicates that you think that  event-to-character is
  >  > unbound in gnu-emacs. But it exists as a function of one (optional two
  >  > arguments.)
  >
  > No, it doesn't exist at all in GNU Emacs 21.3.  You can confirm that
  > by invoking emacs with the -q and --no-site-file command line options,
  > and typing `C-h v event-to-character'.

Oops, `C-h f'.

--
Kevin Rodgers