all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* user-mail-address adds from, not replace
@ 2004-08-21  4:05 MattR
From: MattR @ 2004-08-21  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm moving from emacs 20.7.1 with VM to 21.3.1 with the corresponding
VM. On the older system I set mail-default-reply-to and
user-mail-address to my desired email address, send mail from vm, and
the mail looks like it's coming from my isp. On the newer emacs (stock
from suse 9.1) it doesn't work.  I looked and the headers on the older
version have, at the end

   From: <rosing@myisp.com>
   To: rosing@myisp.com
   Subject: from 2.20
   Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:47:43 -0600

and the headers on the new version have

   From: rosing@quack.homenet (Matt)

   From: Matt <rosing@myisp.com>
   Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:04:05 -0600
   To: rosing@myisp.com
   Subject: default headers

It looks like the new version added the results from  user-mail-address
but put it after the default for my machine (quack.homenet). Rmail does
the same thing. My isp reads the first from line and rejects the mail as
spam.  What do I do?

thanks,

Matt

* Re: user-mail-address adds from, not replace
@ 2004-08-23 16:41 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-08-23 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

MattR wrote:
 > I'm moving from emacs 20.7.1 with VM to 21.3.1 with the corresponding
 > VM. On the older system I set mail-default-reply-to and
 > user-mail-address to my desired email address, send mail from vm, and
 > the mail looks like it's coming from my isp. On the newer emacs (stock
 > from suse 9.1) it doesn't work.  I looked and the headers on the older
 > version have, at the end
 > It looks like the new version added the results from  user-mail-address
 > but put it after the default for my machine (quack.homenet). Rmail does
 > the same thing. My isp reads the first from line and rejects the mail as
 > spam.  What do I do?

What does `C-h v send-mail-function' say in Emacs 20 vs 21?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: user-mail-address adds from, not replace
@ 2004-08-23 18:50   ` MattR
From: MattR @ 2004-08-23 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

emacs 20:

  send-mail-function's value is
  sendmail-send-it

  Documentation:
  Function to call to send the current buffer as mail.
  The headers should be delimited by a line which is
  not a valid RFC822 header or continuation line.

  Defined in `sendmail'.

emacs 21:

  smtpmail-send-it

  <other stuff deleted>

BUT...

I pulled postfix and inserted sendmail as the MTA and now things work. I
had to set send-mail-function to smtpmail-send-it to get the mail to go
through my isp's mail machine.

I've never used postfix before.  Is there a reason why it adds the extra
stuff, or a way to fix it?

Matt

@ 2004-08-23 21:04     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-08-23 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Please don't top-post.]

MattR wrote:
 > emacs 20:
 >
 >  send-mail-function's value is
 >  sendmail-send-it
 >
 >  Documentation:
 >  Function to call to send the current buffer as mail.
 >  The headers should be delimited by a line which is
 >  not a valid RFC822 header or continuation line.
 >
 >  Defined in `sendmail'.
 >
 > emacs 21:
 >
 >  smtpmail-send-it
 >
 >  <other stuff deleted>
 >
 > BUT...
 >
 > I pulled postfix and inserted sendmail as the MTA and now things work. I
 > had to set send-mail-function to smtpmail-send-it to get the mail to go
 > through my isp's mail machine.

What is postfix?  It's not mentioned anywhere above.  See the comments
at the top of smtpmail.el on how to configure smtpmail-send-it
correctly.  It doesn't need any external program to work, it talks
directly to server the via SMTP.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: user-mail-address adds from, not replace
@ 2004-08-24  0:12       ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2004-08-24  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> [Please don't top-post.]

why not? Sometimes it makes sense.

> What is postfix?  It's not mentioned anywhere above.  See the comments

postfix is similar to sendmail.

> at the top of smtpmail.el on how to configure smtpmail-send-it
> correctly.  It doesn't need any external program to work, it talks
> directly to server the via SMTP.

Now I think I understand. I didn't use smtpmail-send-it on my old machine,
it found sendmail, and sendmail worked.  On the new system it used postfix,
didn't work, I pulled postfix, put in sendmail, and at the same time put in
smptpmail-send-it. So I don't need sendmail but I might put it back in
anyway.

Thanks,

Matt