all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* find-file and Unix symlinks
@ 2004-05-12 18:52 J Krugman
From: J Krugman @ 2004-05-12 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

It looks like Emacs 21.2.1 does not resolve properly pathnames that
include components of the form "<unix_symlink>/../".  Is this a
bug or a feature?

Thanks,

jill
--
To  s&e^n]d  me  m~a}i]l  r%e*m?o\v[e  bit from my a|d)d:r{e:s]s.

* Re: find-file and Unix symlinks
@ 2004-05-12 20:20 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-05-12 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

J Krugman wrote:
 > It looks like Emacs 21.2.1 does not resolve properly pathnames that
 > include components of the form "<unix_symlink>/../".  Is this a
 > bug or a feature?

It depends.  What exactly did you do, how exactly did Emacs respond, and
what exactly did you want/expect Emacs to do?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: find-file and Unix symlinks
@ 2004-05-12 20:51 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-05-12 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It looks like Emacs 21.2.1 does not resolve properly pathnames that
> include components of the form "<unix_symlink>/../".  Is this a
> bug or a feature?

Whether it's a bug or feature is in the eye of the beholder, but it's
considered normal behavior for Emacs.
Emacs does most of the filename manipulations as string manipulations,
without paying attention to the corresponding file system.