all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Subject Namimg Convention anyone?
       [not found] <Xns94E554EA25A02melstonadvantestardc@216.168.3.44>
@ 2004-05-10 16:39 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <409FB039.6060301@yahoo.com>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-05-10 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Elston wrote:
 > OK.  I'm starting to get annoyed with the SPAM starting to show up in
 > this newsgroup.  Since this is an unmoderated group could we all agree
 > to use a naming convention for posting to allow us to easily weed out
 > the wheat from the chaff?
 >
 > Perhaps something like [SRC] at the beginning of the Subject for
 > source postings and [DISC] for discussions/questions/etc?  That would
 > put relevant posts at the top of the list in most newsreaders and we
 > can easily select and delete all other posts.  Or we could filter out
 > all posts that don't begin with the agreed strings.

There is already a convention:

Subject: foo.el
Subject: foo.el 1.2
Subject: foo.el 1.2 --- Frobnicate oedipal ouvre, with font-lock support

Only sources are appropriate in gnu.emacs.sources; discussion belongs in
[Followup-To:] gnu.emacs.help.

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2004-05-10 19:27   ` Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2004-05-10 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote in news:409FB039.6060301
@yahoo.com:

> Mark Elston wrote:
> > OK.  I'm starting to get annoyed with the SPAM starting to show up in
> > this newsgroup.  Since this is an unmoderated group could we all agree
> > to use a naming convention for posting to allow us to easily weed out
> > the wheat from the chaff?
>
> There is already a convention:
>
> Subject: foo.el
> Subject: foo.el 1.2
> Subject: foo.el 1.2 --- Frobnicate oedipal ouvre, with font-lock support

OK.  Yeah, I knew that but I was really looking for something a little
more amenable to automation.  I suppose this is easy enough to recognize
by sight but is a little harder to describe in a filter file (I use XNews).

Sorry for the original rant but when more than 50% of the messages in the
newsgroup are spam I get a little testy.

Mark