all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Makeing edit function more like win style
@ 2004-04-22  2:51 reader
From: reader @ 2004-04-22  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know this is probably a faq somewhere but it doesn't seem to be
findable with a couple quick scans in the emacs faw of Feb 22 2004.

On a windows OS there are settings that make emacs behave more like
the other tools on windows regarding copy paste and that sort of
stuff.  Someone please aim me at that information.

* Re: Makeing edit function more like win style
@ 2004-04-22  4:19 ` reader
From: reader @ 2004-04-22  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

reader@newsguy.com writes:

> I know this is probably a faq somewhere but it doesn't seem to be
> findable with a couple quick scans in the emacs faw of Feb 22 2004.
>
> On a windows OS there are settings that make emacs behave more like
> the other tools on windows regarding copy paste and that sort of
> stuff.  Someone please aim me at that information.

A quick reply to myself may keep this a little clearer.  I know about
the ntemacs faq and the setting to make copy paste work like C-c C-v
etc.  I don't really want that... I'm way to used to emacs own way of
doing business.  I guess all I'm really after is to make cut and paste
between emacs and other apps work more like it should.

That is, the same action that cuts and pasts from IE to notetab should
work from IE to emacs.  Currently I see no way at all to do simple cut
and paste from browser to emacs.

* Re: Makeing edit function more like win style
@ 2004-04-24 11:45   ` Michael Schierl
From: Michael Schierl @ 2004-04-24 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

reader@newsguy.com writes:

> That is, the same action that cuts and pasts from IE to notetab should
> work from IE to emacs.  Currently I see no way at all to do simple cut
> and paste from browser to emacs.

Where is the problem? When I mark some text in IE, press C-c, then click into
Emacs and press C-y, I get the text there.

However, it does *not* work if you want to replace a selection marked
with the mouse.

I. e. if you mark some text in IE, press C-c, then mark some text in
Emacs, you won't be able to paste the IE text over it since Emacs
already put the new text into the system clipboard.

Michael

* Re: Makeing edit function more like win style
@ 2004-04-24 21:10   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-04-24 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

reader@newsguy.com writes:

> That is, the same action that cuts and pasts from IE to notetab should
> work from IE to emacs.  Currently I see no way at all to do simple cut
> and paste from browser to emacs.

So selecting text in IE, then hitting Ctrl-C there, then C-y in Emacs
doesn't work?  And the middle mouse button doesn't work, either?

I'm surprised.  I seem to recall from my last short stint at using
Emacs on Windows that this worked.  Hm.

Kai

* Re: Makeing edit function more like win style
@ 2004-04-27 16:00     ` Ryan Bowman
From: Ryan Bowman @ 2004-04-27 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> wrote:
> reader@newsguy.com writes:
>
> > That is, the same action that cuts and pasts from
> IE to notetab should
> > work from IE to emacs.  Currently I see no way at
> all to do simple cut
> > and paste from browser to emacs.
>
> So selecting text in IE, then hitting Ctrl-C there,
> then C-y in Emacs
> doesn't work?  And the middle mouse button doesn't
> work, either?
>
> I'm surprised.  I seem to recall from my last short
> stint at using
> Emacs on Windows that this worked.  Hm.
>
> Kai

What you need to do is select the text in emacs first,
which puts it in the clipboard, then select the text
in  IE and you can then paste over the selected text
in emacs.

=====
---
Ryan

The door at the end of the tunnel is far too small...
 - Closing In 2.0 - Don't Be Afraid - Information Society - insoc.org
---

* Re: Makeing edit function more like win style
@ 2004-04-27 19:58     ` AD90993
From: AD90993 @ 2004-04-27 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Schierl <schierlm-usenet@gmx.de> wrote in message news:<wkllklioq4.fsf@smsoft.ixy.de>...
> reader@newsguy.com writes:
>
> > That is, the same action that cuts and pasts from IE to notetab should
> > work from IE to emacs.  Currently I see no way at all to do simple cut
> > and paste from browser to emacs.
>
> Where is the problem? When I mark some text in IE, press C-c, then click into
> Emacs and press C-y, I get the text there.
>
> However, it does *not* work if you want to replace a selection marked
> with the mouse.
>
> I. e. if you mark some text in IE, press C-c, then mark some text in
> Emacs, you won't be able to paste the IE text over it since Emacs
> already put the new text into the system clipboard.
>
> Michael

OK, so why would Emacs overwrite the system clipboard on text selection??
This did not happen in 19.x!!  Is there anyway to disable this?

* Re: Makeing edit function more like win style
@ 2004-04-27 20:24       ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2004-04-27 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <483d7bac.0404271158.6e40d16f@posting.google.com>,
 ad90993@yahoo.com (AD90993) wrote:

> Michael Schierl <schierlm-usenet@gmx.de> wrote in message
> > reader@newsguy.com writes:
> >
> > > That is, the same action that cuts and pasts from IE to notetab should
> > > work from IE to emacs.  Currently I see no way at all to do simple cut
> > > and paste from browser to emacs.
> >
> > Where is the problem? When I mark some text in IE, press C-c, then click
> > into
> > Emacs and press C-y, I get the text there.
> >
> > However, it does *not* work if you want to replace a selection marked
> > with the mouse.
> >
> > I. e. if you mark some text in IE, press C-c, then mark some text in
> > Emacs, you won't be able to paste the IE text over it since Emacs
> > already put the new text into the system clipboard.
> >
> > Michael
>
> OK, so why would Emacs overwrite the system clipboard on text selection??
> This did not happen in 19.x!!  Is there anyway to disable this?

Because Emacs adopted the style of cutting used by most X toolkits,
where simply marking a region automatically copies it to the clipboard,
rather than requiring separate mark and copy actions.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: Makeing edit function more like win style
@ 2004-04-29 22:51     ` reader
From: reader @ 2004-04-29 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> reader@newsguy.com writes:
>
>> That is, the same action that cuts and pasts from IE to notetab should
>> work from IE to emacs.  Currently I see no way at all to do simple cut
>> and paste from browser to emacs.

Apologies to Kai and other posters.  It was all user error.

I'd originally tried to unload the clipboard from a C-c in Browser by
hitting right mouse in emacs then when that failed I tried C-y and
finally edit/paste.  None of those worked:

I see now it was the sequence that made it fail.  I needed to resupply
the clipboard by C-c again in the Browser.

C-c in Browser and C-y works but if you stick a right mouse click
inside emacs before C-y, it will fail.  Strangely though, trying a C-v
(windows key combo for yanking) before C-y and the c-y still works.
But right mouse click unloads the clipboard somehow.

Anyway all is well now C-c C-y or Edit/paste work as expected.

* Re: Makeing edit function more like win style
@ 2004-04-30 18:19       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-04-30 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

reader@newsguy.com wrote:
 > Apologies to Kai and other posters.  It was all user error.
 >
 > I'd originally tried to unload the clipboard from a C-c in Browser by
 > hitting right mouse in emacs then when that failed I tried C-y and
 > finally edit/paste.  None of those worked:
 >
 > I see now it was the sequence that made it fail.  I needed to resupply
 > the clipboard by C-c again in the Browser.
 >
 > C-c in Browser and C-y works but if you stick a right mouse click
 > inside emacs before C-y, it will fail.  Strangely though, trying a C-v
 > (windows key combo for yanking) before C-y and the c-y still works.
 > But right mouse click unloads the clipboard somehow.

`C-h k <mouse-3>' explains:

--
Kevin Rodgers