all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tramp and non-bash shells
@ 2004-03-07 11:37 Björn Lindström
From: Björn Lindström @ 2004-03-07 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

It seems that Tramp assumes that unset will always return 0. Of the
shells I've been testing, that is however only the case with bash.

With for instance zsh, which is the shell I am using, Tramp will fail
because 'unset correct' fails in the ssh session it has opened.

How do I work around this, without having to change my login shell to bash?

--
Björn Lindström <bkhl@elektrubadur.se>
http://bkhl.elektrubadur.se/

* More tramp problems (Was: Tramp and non-bash shells)
@ 2004-03-07 16:29 ` Björn Lindström
From: Björn Lindström @ 2004-03-07 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've gotten tramp to work better with zsh, after setting:

(setq tramp-rsh-end-of-line "\r")

Now, it fails with this:

----

///c913ccb8b6f7a44fa178329a01c9ebaa
sh: syntax error near unexpected token `('
# Checking remote encoding command `mimencode -b' for sanity
$ ( mimencode -b </dev/null 2>/dev/null; echo tramp_exit_status $? )
sh: syntax error near unexpected token `$trans{$_},'

///c913ccb8b6f7a44fa178329a01c9ebaa
sh: syntax error near unexpected token `unpack'

---

Apparently, this has something to do with the file encoding. Can anyone
help with more clues?

--
Björn Lindström <bkhl@elektrubadur.se>
http://bkhl.elektrubadur.se/

* Re: Tramp and non-bash shells
@ 2004-03-08 18:55 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-03-08 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bjo"rn Lindstro"m wrote:
 > It seems that Tramp assumes that unset will always return 0. Of the
 > shells I've been testing, that is however only the case with bash.

The unset built-in also fails in ksh if any of its arguments are not
functions or variables.

 > With for instance zsh, which is the shell I am using, Tramp will fail
 > because 'unset correct' fails in the ssh session it has opened.
 >
 > How do I work around this, without having to change my login shell to
 > bash?

Try to find the place where Tramp runs "unset correct", and change it
to "correct=; unset correct"

--
Kevin Rodgers