all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* turning off scrollbars
@ 2004-02-02 21:01 Fx Mx
From: Fx Mx @ 2004-02-02 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello there emacs gurus--

I don't want the scroll bars to come up as default,
and so I added the following line to my .emacs file:

(scroll-bar-mode 0)

This for some reason doesn't turn it off, neither does

(setq scroll-bar-mode nil)

However, these methods of turning on and off modes
work in other settings.

Thanks,

Fx

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

* Re: turning off scrollbars
       [not found] <mailman.1743.1075756452.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-02-02 23:42 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-02-02 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fx Mx wrote:

> Hello there emacs gurus--
>
> I don't want the scroll bars to come up as default,
> and so I added the following line to my .emacs file:
>
> (scroll-bar-mode 0)

`C-h f scroll-bar-mode RET' says:

| scroll-bar-mode is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `scroll-bar'.
| (scroll-bar-mode FLAG)
|
| Toggle display of vertical scroll bars on all frames.
| This command applies to all frames that exist and frames to be
| created in the future.
| With a numeric argument, if the argument is negative,
| turn off scroll bars; otherwise, turn on scroll bars.

So the correct form is: (scroll-bar-mode -1)

> This for some reason doesn't turn it off, neither does
>
> (setq scroll-bar-mode nil)

`C-h v scroll-bar-mode RET' says:

| scroll-bar-mode's value is left
|
| Documentation:
| *Specify whether to have vertical scroll bars, and on which side.
| Possible values are nil (no scroll bars), `left' (scroll bars on left)
| and `right' (scroll bars on right).
| To set this variable in a Lisp program, use `set-scroll-bar-mode'
| to make it take real effect.
| Setting the variable with a customization buffer also takes effect.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| Defined in `scroll-bar'.

And `C-h f set-scroll-bar-mode RET' says:

| set-scroll-bar-mode is a compiled Lisp function in `scroll-bar'.
| (set-scroll-bar-mode VALUE)
|
| Set `scroll-bar-mode' to VALUE and put the new value into effect.

So the correct form is: (set-scroll-bar-mode nil)

> However, these methods of turning on and off modes
> work in other settings.

Not relevant.

C-h is your friend,
--