all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* give more common names than 'prior' upon where-is
@ 2004-01-20 18:40 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2004-01-20 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just noting that scroll-left, scroll-right are such basic keys for
wide file users, that they should have single keystrokes in
addition/instead of C-x <, C-x >. Yes I can bind them, I'm talking
about choices for defaults.
By the way, I don't see any key on my keyboard marked "next" or "prior", so
C-next, C-prior are not to be found. Wait, I find they are called page
up and page down.  OK, that means all you need to do is make C-h b,
C-h w give the more common names these days for prior etc. in addition
to prior etc.

* Re: give more common names than 'prior' upon where-is
@ 2004-01-21  6:14 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-01-21  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

> From: Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org>
> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 02:40:43 +0800
>
> By the way, I don't see any key on my keyboard marked "next" or "prior", so
> C-next, C-prior are not to be found.

That's because you have a wrong keyboard.

The `next', `prior', etc. names come from the Sun's keyboards, IIRC.

> Wait, I find they are called page up and page down.  OK, that means
> all you need to do is make C-h b, C-h w give the more common names
> these days for prior etc. in addition to prior etc.

It's in the tutorial.  You did read that, didn't you?

* Re: give more common names than 'prior' upon where-is
       [not found] <mailman.1078.1074660200.928.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-01-21 17:37 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-01-21 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Jacobson wrote:

> By the way, I don't see any key on my keyboard marked "next" or "prior", so
> C-next, C-prior are not to be found. Wait, I find they are called page
> up and page down.

I thinks that's because the X11 server sends Emacs the keysyms named Next and
Prior when the PageUp And PageDown keys are pressed.

> OK, that means all you need to do is make C-h b,
> C-h w give the more common names these days for prior etc. in addition
> to prior etc.

I guess you could translate [next] and [prior] to [pageup] and [pagedown] in

function-key-map, and then substitute the new function keys for the old ones
in all the keymaps.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: give more common names than 'prior' upon where-is
@ 2004-01-22 19:10   ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2004-01-22 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> By the way, I don't see any key on my keyboard marked "next" or "prior", so
>> C-next, C-prior are not to be found.

Eli> That's because you have a wrong keyboard.

Eli> The `next', `prior', etc. names come from the Sun's keyboards, IIRC.

I'll have you know that I must use a very standard keyboard, as it
says "Designed for Microsoft(R)".

>> these days for prior etc. in addition to prior etc.

Eli> It's in the tutorial.  You did read that, didn't you?

I took the tutorial back in the 1980's.

* Re: give more common names than 'prior' upon where-is
@ 2004-01-23 22:04     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-01-23 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Jacobson wrote:

> I'll have you know that I must use a very standard keyboard, as it
> says "Designed for Microsoft(R)".

convention != standard

--
Kevin Rodgers