all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Re: Crash calling md5 for a list of buffers
@ 2004-01-22 11:34 Dmitry Antipov
From: Dmitry Antipov @ 2004-01-22 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> There must be something wrong in the code in fns.c:Fmd5() that computes
> and checks the buffer beginning and end when its run with object set to
> the xdisp.c buffer, because either the subsequent call to
> select-safe-coding-system (via Vselect_safe_coding_system_function) or
> make_buffer_string is passed an end argument that is 1 larger than the
> buffer size (which precipitates the Lisp error or the crash,
> respectively).  Can anyone see what's wrong here?

IMHO this code is correct, but Fmd5 really has stupid error. Here it is.

If 1st arg is a string, all goes ok. If it's a buffer, we have a
'struct buffer *bp' which points to the buffer to process. For buffer
'bp' points to, we are calculating begin (b) and end (e) boundaries.
Then, after selecting coding system, we do 'make_buffer_string (b, e, 0)'.
But this function works with 'struct buffer *current_buffer', not with
'bp' ! So, if the size of buffer pointed via *bp is more than the size
of *current_buffer, we have an abort():
make_buffer_string() -> CHAR_TO_BYTE(end) -> buf_charpos_to_bytepos(...):
  if (charpos < BUF_BEG (b) || charpos > BUF_Z (b))
    abort ();
because 'b' here points to the current buffer, but 'charpos' arg is
calculated for *bp from Fmd5.

An obvious (but I'm not sure the best, btw) fix is:

struct buffer *bt;
bt = current_buffer, current_buffer = bp;
object = make_buffer_string (b, e, 0);
current_buffer = bt;

I've already posted it here (see my e-mail "Probably fixed..."), but
still has no reply on it :-(.

Tnanks for your help,
Dmitry

only message in thread, other threads:[~2004-01-22 11:34 UTC | newest]