all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How remove/change appearance of "M-x" prompt when inputting interactive command/function?
@ 2004-01-13 17:26 Christian Seberino
From: Christian Seberino @ 2004-01-13 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

When you do M-x to type in a command interactively
you see a "M-x" prompt waiting for you to type something in.

How can I remove or change this prompt?

Chris

* Re: How remove/change appearance of "M-x" prompt when inputting interactive command/function?
@ 2004-01-14  2:38 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-01-14  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christian Seberino wrote:

> When you do M-x to type in a command interactively
> you see a "M-x" prompt waiting for you to type something in.
>
> How can I remove or change this prompt?

Edit this code in src/keyboard.c:Fexecute_extended_command(), then recompile Emacs:

   /* This isn't strictly correct if execute-extended-command
      is bound to anything else.  Perhaps it should use
      this_command_keys?  */
   strcat (buf, "M-x ");

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: How remove/change appearance of "M-x" prompt when inputting interactive command/function?
@ 2004-01-14 12:41   ` leo
From: leo @ 2004-01-14 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Christian Seberino wrote:
>
> > When you do M-x to type in a command interactively
> > you see a "M-x" prompt waiting for you to type something in.
> > How can I remove or change this prompt?
>
> Edit this code in src/keyboard.c:Fexecute_extended_command(), then
> recompile Emacs:
>

>    /* This isn't strictly correct if execute-extended-command
>       is bound to anything else.  Perhaps it should use
>       this_command_keys?  */
>    strcat (buf, "M-x ");

cool, somebody how knows the _source_ code of emacs! (admirational
face...)

do you additionally (off topic for this thread) know where emacs
gathers/provides the information for the left/top-postion of frames?

i'd like to look at that for the mac osx/aqua version of emacs. - see article
"definitely an aqua/carbon issue (was Re: function `frame-parameters' on
mac osx)" in this newsgroups.

cheers, leo

* Re: How remove/change appearance of "M-x" prompt when inputting interactive command/function?
@ 2004-01-15 18:39     ` gebser
From: gebser @ 2004-01-15 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 23:41 (UTC+1100) on 14 Jan 2004 leo said:

= ...
=
= i'd like to look at that for the mac osx/aqua version of emacs. - see article
= "definitely an aqua/carbon issue (was Re: function `frame-parameters' on
= mac osx)" in this newsgroups.
=
= ...

You can set this in your ~/.Xdefaults file.  The X manpage will give
details.

ken

* Re: How remove/change appearance of "M-x" prompt when inputting interactive command/function?
       [not found] <mailman.747.1074225948.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-01-16 14:33 ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-01-16 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

gebser@speakeasy.net writes:

> At 23:41 (UTC+1100) on 14 Jan 2004 leo said:
>
>> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>> do you additionally (off topic for this thread) know where emacs
>> gathers/provides the information for the left/top-postion of
>> frames?
>>
>> i'd like to look at that for the mac osx/aqua version of emacs. -
>> see article "definitely an aqua/carbon issue (was Re: function
>> `frame-parameters' on mac osx)" in this newsgroups.
>
> You can set this in your ~/.Xdefaults file.  The X manpage will give
> details.

This won't affect the OS X/Aqua version of Emacs, as Aqua does not
read any of the X11 config files.  The Carbon version of Emacs does
open with part of the window off the bottom of the screen on my
computer, and always has.  Other Carbon and Cocoa apps have the same
problem.  ISTR that there is an algorythm to make the app aware of the
display size, but many programmers do not use it.  Changing the
resolution of the display to a higher resolution is the only user-end
fix for this AFAIK.  Unfortunately my middle aged eyes don't like
this.

As as aside, whoever used '=' as a quote string, Emacs can't format
this correctly with the M-q command.  Please use a standard quote
string so that people don't have to fix your posts by hand to respond
to them.

* Re: How remove/change appearance of "M-x" prompt when inputting interactive command/function?
@ 2004-01-16 16:11   ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2004-01-16 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:

> As as aside, whoever used '=' as a quote string, Emacs can't format
> this correctly with the M-q command.

To fill a paragraph in which each line starts with a special marker
you could use the `set-fill-prefix' command (C-x .) or Adaptive Fill.

* Re: How remove/change appearance of "M-x" prompt when inputting interactive command/function?
@ 2004-01-16 18:24   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-01-16 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim McNamara wrote:

> gebser@speakeasy.net writes:
>>You can set this in your ~/.Xdefaults file.  The X manpage will give
>>details.
>>

> This won't affect the OS X/Aqua version of Emacs, as Aqua does not
> read any of the X11 config files.

1. Can't you force the OS X/Aqua X11 server to load its resource database
    with this command: xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xdefaults

2. Emacs explicitly loads that file itself; see x_load_resources ->
    get_user_db/get_environ_db in src/xrdb.c, which is called from x_term_init
    in src/xterm.c.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: How remove/change appearance of "M-x" prompt when inputting interactive command/function?
@ 2004-01-16 19:41     ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-01-16 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Paul Wallington <jpw@gnu.org> writes:

> Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:
>
>> As as aside, whoever used '=' as a quote string, Emacs can't format
>> this correctly with the M-q command.
>
> To fill a paragraph in which each line starts with a special marker
> you could use the `set-fill-prefix' command (C-x .) or Adaptive
> Fill.

Thanks!  Emacs seems to have a trick for just about everything, I was
wrong to doubt...

* Re: How remove/change appearance of "M-x" prompt when inputting   interactive command/function?
@ 2004-01-16 19:48     ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-01-16 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
>
>> gebser@speakeasy.net writes:
>
>>> You can set this in your ~/.Xdefaults file.  The X manpage will
>>> give details.
>>>
>> This won't affect the OS X/Aqua version of Emacs, as Aqua does not
>> read any of the X11 config files.
>
> 1. Can't you force the OS X/Aqua X11 server to load its resource
> database with this command: xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xdefaults

Ah, if only.  The Aqua interface is not at all related to X11; this is
the layer in which Carbon and Cocoa applications run.  Andrew Chois
has a set of patches available in CVS Emacs that allow it to be
compiled for the Aqua or X11 environments (adding the flags
"--with-carbon --without-x" or "--with-x --without-carbon" to the
./configure command).

In OS X, the X11 system runs as a separate layer, by default in
rootless mode.  One can of course run the window management system of
your choice.  X11 is launched most easily with an application called
"X11.app" but there are other choices (XDarwin and OroborOSX, for
example).

> 2. Emacs explicitly loads that file itself; see x_load_resources ->
> get_user_db/get_environ_db in src/xrdb.c, which is called from
> x_term_init in src/xterm.c.

Whoo, that's beyond my skills to understand.