all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#11021: 23.4; Text client hangs when region is highlighted in another frame with mouse
@ 2012-03-15 14:46 Phil Brooke
From: Phil Brooke @ 2012-03-15 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 11021

Hi,

The problem: Highlighting some text in an X frame using the mouse appears
to cause text clients to freeze until the region is deactivated.

Replicating the problem:

    I started a freshly-built version of emacs 23.4 with
      ./emacs -q
    Inside emacs, I started a server:
      M-x server-start

    I now write some text into the *scratch* buffer (of an X frame) and
    highlight it with the mouse (hold mouse button 1, sweep across text,
    release button 1).

    In another xterm, I run
      ./emacsclient -t
    The text mode client appears to freeze until I return to the original
    frame and press C-g, type some text or other actions to cause the
    highlighting to disappear.  Any input I typed into the text client is
    handled at this point.

    While emacsclient -t is running, if I now highlight some text with the
    mouse in a frame again, it causes the text mode client to freeze.

Other X frames are unaffected, e.g., emacsclient -c brings up a frame;
that frame is not frozen as for emacsclient -t.

The problem does not occur if I use C-space and the cursor keys to
highlight some text in the X frame instead of using the mouse.

If I have two emacsclients running (both -t) and one sets highlights a
region, the other emacsclient does not appear to freeze.

Some output from emacs-report-bug follows (the test machine isn't
configured for sending email directly, so I cut'n'pasted it to a
different machine):

In GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
  of 2012-03-15 on sirius7
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/home/pjb/apps/emacs-23.4'
'--with-gif=no''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LC_COLLATE: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LC_CTYPE: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0
GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of
2012-03-15 on sirius7
When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0 [2 times]
GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of
2012-03-15 on sirius7
When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0
Quit
Composing main Info directory...done
Mark saved where search started
Mark set
Mark saved where search started [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail regexp-opt ecomplete rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util
netrc time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock
sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug multi-isearch info easymenu
server tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind font-render-setting gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Cheers,

Phil.

* bug#11021: 23.4; Text client hangs when region is highlighted in another frame with mouse
@ 2012-03-16 17:18 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2012-03-16 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Brooke; +Cc: 11021

Hello.

I can't repeat this on the latest trunk.  Can you confirm that it does not happen on the trunk?

Thanks,

	Jan D.

@ 2012-03-17 20:31   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-03-17 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: Phil Brooke, 11021

Jan Djärv wrote:

> I can't repeat this on the latest trunk. Can you confirm that it does
> not happen on the trunk?

On two different systems, I see it in 23.4 (and 23.1...) but not with
the current trunk, so it looks like it is fixed.

* bug#11021: 23.4; Text client hangs when region is highlighted in another frame with mouse
@ 2012-03-19 10:36     ` Phil Brooke
From: Phil Brooke @ 2012-03-19 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv, Glenn Morris; +Cc: 11021

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012, Glenn Morris wrote:
> On two different systems, I see it in 23.4 (and 23.1...) but not with
> the current trunk, so it looks like it is fixed.

I agree; I can't replicate it on the latest trunk.

Thanks,

Phil.

* bug#11021: 23.4; Text client hangs when region is highlighted in another frame with mouse
@ 2012-03-19 12:50       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-03-19 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Brooke; +Cc: 11021

>> I can't repeat this on the latest trunk.  Can you confirm that it does not
>> happen on the trunk?
>> On two different systems, I see it in 23.4 (and 23.1...) but not with
>> the current trunk, so it looks like it is fixed.
> I agree; I can't replicate it on the latest trunk.

Could it be that the bug is only hidden by the fact that the
region/clipboard/selection has a different default behavior in 24?

* bug#11021: 23.4; Text client hangs when region is highlighted in another frame with mouse
@ 2012-03-19 13:41         ` Phil Brooke
From: Phil Brooke @ 2012-03-19 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: 11021

Hi,

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> I can't repeat this on the latest trunk.  Can you confirm that it does not
>>> happen on the trunk?
>>> On two different systems, I see it in 23.4 (and 23.1...) but not with
>>> the current trunk, so it looks like it is fixed.
>> I agree; I can't replicate it on the latest trunk.
> Could it be that the bug is only hidden by the fact that the
> region/clipboard/selection has a different default behavior in 24?

Which variable(s) would I need to change in 24 to revert the behaviour to
23's default for testing?

Thanks,

Phil.

* bug#11021: 23.4; Text client hangs when region is highlighted in another frame with mouse
@ 2012-03-19 16:25         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-03-19 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Phil Brooke, 11021

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Could it be that the bug is only hidden by the fact that the
> region/clipboard/selection has a different default behavior in 24?

I tried the old settings from NEWS; no bug.

*** To return to the previous behavior, do the following:
**** Change `select-active-regions' to nil.
**** Change `mouse-drag-copy-region' to t.
**** Change `x-select-enable-primary' to t (on X only).
**** Change `x-select-enable-clipboard' to nil.