all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Generate major mode from Antlr source
@ 2003-10-30  8:33 Arjan Bos
From: Arjan Bos @ 2003-10-30  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Is there a package to generate the font-locking and indentation engine
from an antlr source-file?

If you really want to contact me, then replace the "I see you" text by
its three letter accronym, ICU.

Fabricate Diem PVNC, Motto of the Night Watch -- Terry Pratchett

* Re: Generate major mode from Antlr source
@ 2003-10-30 21:40 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-10-30 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there a package to generate the font-locking and indentation engine from
> an antlr source-file?

I don't think the ANTLR source is sufficient, but it would be interesting
to know if someone has worked on doing that (with some side help to know
what non-terminal deserves highlighting, for example).

Maybe a first step would be to generate a Semantic description and/or
to setup the syntax-table.

* Re: Generate major mode from Antlr source
@ 2003-11-02 18:29   ` Arjan Bos
From: Arjan Bos @ 2003-11-02 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>Is there a package to generate the font-locking and indentation engine from
>>an antlr source-file?
>

> I don't think the ANTLR source is sufficient, but it would be interesting
> to know if someone has worked on doing that (with some side help to know
> what non-terminal deserves highlighting, for example).
>
> Maybe a first step would be to generate a Semantic description and/or
> to setup the syntax-table.
>

>         Stefan

I thought about it a bit more, but it really is something that should be
build into Antlr itself. I mean, parsing the file and creating
emacs-mode code from it instead of java code should be more trivial than
creating a elisp function that parses the antlr source from scratch.

But I'll think about it. Thanks for your reply.