all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* newbie questions: customizing continuation lines and font for Windows emacs
@ 2009-03-13 23:09 Elias
From: Elias @ 2009-03-13 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi. I am trying to learn Emacs. I have GNU Emacs 22.3.1 for Windows,
and I have some questions.

I noticed that there is a word wrap feature, so that if a line in the
file won't fit on the screen, the rest of it is displayed on the next
line. That is nice, but I'm wondering if I can customize it. I want to
make it so if the line is indented with spaces or tabs, the
continuations will also appear indented, instead of starting all the
way on the left side.

Also, I am trying to change the display font. I go to Options and Set
Font, and pick the font (Lucida Sans Typewriter), then go to Options
and Save Options, hoping that the font will be saved. However, the
next time I start emacs, it is set to Courier New for some reason. Is
there any way to save the font?

Thank you.

* Re: newbie questions: customizing continuation lines and font for Windows emacs
@ 2009-03-14  1:50 ` Byung-Hee HWANG
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2009-03-14  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Elias <mikez302@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi. I am trying to learn Emacs. I have GNU Emacs 22.3.1 for Windows,
> and I have some questions.
>
> I noticed that there is a word wrap feature, so that if a line in the
> file won't fit on the screen, the rest of it is displayed on the next
> line. That is nice, but I'm wondering if I can customize it. I want to
> make it so if the line is indented with spaces or tabs, the
> continuations will also appear indented, instead of starting all the
> way on the left side.

Also i'm newbie. Actually i don't know about indenting. However, i
tested the word wrap feature. And it works fine.

;; Text mode and Auto Fill mode
(setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'text-mode-hook-identify)
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

> Also, I am trying to change the display font. I go to Options and Set
> Font, and pick the font (Lucida Sans Typewriter), then go to Options
> and Save Options, hoping that the font will be saved. However, the
> next time I start emacs, it is set to Courier New for some reason. Is
> there any way to save the font?

This is rich to me.

--
Byung-Hee HWANG, KNU
∑ WWW: http://izb.knu.ac.kr/~bh/

* Re: newbie questions: customizing continuation lines and font for Windows emacs
@ 2009-03-14 10:38 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-03-14 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Elias <mikez302@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:09:00 -0700 (PDT)
>
> I noticed that there is a word wrap feature, so that if a line in the
> file won't fit on the screen, the rest of it is displayed on the next
> line. That is nice, but I'm wondering if I can customize it. I want to
> make it so if the line is indented with spaces or tabs, the
> continuations will also appear indented, instead of starting all the
> way on the left side.

Try "M-x indented-text-mode RET".

* Re: newbie questions: customizing continuation lines and font for Windows emacs
@ 2009-03-14 11:18 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.3167.1237105348.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.3170.1237105350.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-14 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.03.2009 um 00:09 schrieb Elias:

> Also, I am trying to change the display font. I go to Options and Set
> Font, and pick the font (Lucida Sans Typewriter), then go to Options
> and Save Options, hoping that the font will be saved. However, the
> next time I start emacs, it is set to Courier New for some reason. Is
> there any way to save the font?

You can use initial-frame-alist and default-frame-alist as in:

   (setq initial-frame-alist '(
;•      (font . "fontset-global")
         (tool-bar-lines         . 0)
         (menu-bar-lines         . 2)
         (border-color           . "gold1")
         (cursor-color           . "turquoise1")
         (mouse-color            . "purple3")
         (foreground-color       . "DarkCyan")
         (background-color       . "antiquewhite1")
         (vertical-scroll-bars   . right)
         (internal-border-width  . 5)
         (top  . 10) (left . 625) (width . 80) (height . 50)
         ))

Of course you need to uncomment and substitute the values on the
first and second lines. And others too ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

To most people solutions mean finding the answers. But to chemists
solutions
are things that are still all mixed up.

@ 2009-03-16 17:07   ` Elias
From: Elias @ 2009-03-16 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

By that I am assuming you mean to press Alt-X, type "indented-text-
mode", then press enter. I tried that and it didn't help. All that
happened was that the syntax highlighting went away. All my text is
black now, but it didn't affect the indenting.

@ 2009-03-16 17:09   ` Elias
From: Elias @ 2009-03-16 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

What do you mean by "initial-frame-alist and default-frame-alist"? Is
that a command or a setting or something?

@ 2009-03-17  3:35     ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-03-17  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

These are variables, association lists that define frame parameters.
Other similar looking tokens might be functions but in this case there
is no verb in the hyphenated name so it's probably a variable. Functions
do things and variables are things. Type C-h v and then TAB and you will
see a very long list of variables, among which are the two mentioned by
Peter. If you type C-h v init TAB then you will see just the variables
starting with init
To see a list of functions type C-h f tab. To find out more about a
variable or function, complete typing the name and press return or just
click on the name of interest in the *Completions* buffer. Have you done
the tutorial yet? C-h t  Other useful ones are C-h C-f   C-h i  and  C-h
? for help on the help options

@ 2009-03-17  9:30     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3388.1237282256.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-17  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.03.2009 um 18:07 schrieb Elias:

> By that I am assuming you mean to press Alt-X, type "indented-text-
> mode", then press enter.

How does it come that you are "assuming" something? And particularly
something like this? Didn't the tutorial teach you other things? Sure
things?

--
Greetings

   Pete

When you meet a master swordsman,
show him your sword.
When you meet a man who is not a poet,
do not show him your poem.
		– Rinzai, ninth century Zen master

* Re: newbie questions: customizing continuation lines and font for Windows emacs
@ 2009-03-17 18:26     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3388.1237282256.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-03-17 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Elias <mikez302@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:07:52 -0700 (PDT)
>
> By that I am assuming you mean to press Alt-X, type "indented-text-
> mode", then press enter. I tried that and it didn't help. All that
> happened was that the syntax highlighting went away. All my text is
> black now, but it didn't affect the indenting.

Maybe we are talking about different things.  What do you mean by
``continuation''?

@ 2009-03-18 18:31       ` Elias
From: Elias @ 2009-03-18 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I tried doing what I assumed, and it didn't fix the problem. Instead,
it did something seeming to have nothing to do with indenting. This
gave me a feeling that maybe I was doing something wrong.

* Re: newbie questions: customizing continuation lines and font for  Windows emacs
@ 2009-03-18 22:23       ` Elias
From: Elias @ 2009-03-18 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I tried C-h v and C-h f. I have no idea what to pick from the huge
lists of variables and functions.

Yes, I did the tutorial.

I haven't tried C-h C-f. I'll do that.

* Re: newbie questions: customizing continuation lines and font for Windows emacs
@ 2009-03-19 11:19         ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2009-03-19 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Elias <mikez302@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried C-h v and C-h f. I have no idea what to pick from the huge
> lists of variables and functions.

Try M-x apropos and M-x apropos-variable.  It allows you to search to list.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher