all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fill-paragraph for javadoc in netrexx mode
@ 2003-09-22 19:39 Arjan Bos
From: Arjan Bos @ 2003-09-22 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm in the process of writing a new major mode for NetRexx. NetRexx is a
language that compiles straight into java and allows the use of all the
nice features of java without the cumbersome syntax.[1]

One of the features NetRexx uses from java is the javadoc comment style.
Could anyone enlighten me please how to use the feature from java-mode
in my personal mode.
Do I need to copy the relevant elisp-code to my own mode? If so, which
parts are the relevant ones?
Or is there a more elegant way to tap into that elisp-code?

Kind regards,
Arjan Bos

[1] Please, let's not fight about this, it's a purely personal opinion.
(But true none the less ;-) )

* Re: Fill-paragraph for javadoc in netrexx mode
@ 2003-09-23 12:10 ` jorussel
From: jorussel @ 2003-09-23 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arjan Bos <Arjan.Bos@nospam.icu.nl> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm in the process of writing a new major mode for NetRexx. NetRexx is
> a language that compiles straight into java and allows the use of all
> the nice features of java without the cumbersome syntax.[1]

You want less cumbersome syntax and you are trying to write an Emacs
mode in lisp?  ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist.  I write java a lot and have never used the
java-mode that comes with Emacs.  I instead use the JDEE (java
development environment for Emacs ) Google knows where it is.  There
are many functions prefixed jde-javadoc which are great at generating
javadoc.  You could probably look there.

> Do I need to copy the relevant elisp-code to my own mode?

I think borrowing would be best in this case as jde is kinda heavy to
include, although its great for java development.

> If so, which
> parts are the relevant ones?

I'm thinking anything with jde-javadoc in front of it.

> Or is there a more elegant way to tap into that elisp-code?

Probably, like I said, java developer.  We don't do elegant.  :-P

John

* Re: Fill-paragraph for javadoc in netrexx mode
@ 2003-09-23 15:33   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-09-23 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You want less cumbersome syntax and you are trying to write an Emacs
> mode in lisp?  ;-)

Hey!  Looking for trouble ?

> I write java a lot and have never used the
> java-mode that comes with Emacs.  I instead use the JDEE (java
> development environment for Emacs ) Google knows where it is.

Ahem: JDEE uses the built-in java-mode, AFAIK (and extends it in
various ways).

>> Do I need to copy the relevant elisp-code to my own mode?
> I think borrowing would be best in this case as jde is kinda heavy to
> include, although its great for java development.

I'd say, make a derived-mode:

    (define-derived-mode netrexx-mode java-mode "NetRexx"
      "A mode to edit NetRexx files."
      ...)

and in the `...' part, just change whatever needs to behave differently.
You can derive from jde-mode if you prefer, of course.

        Stefan "The derived-mode guy"

* Re: Fill-paragraph for javadoc in netrexx mode
@ 2003-09-23 19:14     ` jorussel
From: jorussel @ 2003-09-23 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> > You want less cumbersome syntax and you are trying to write an Emacs
> > mode in lisp?  ;-)
>
> Hey!  Looking for trouble ?

Well the last time I posted I didn't get any responses, so I figured
I'd say something inflamatory to get attention :-).  Just in case you
were curious, by ignored post is below....  shameless, I know, but
I'm really curious.

Old post -

Forgive me if this has been covered, but after much googling the only
mention to this I've found was my own post a few months ago  ( I made
it into google, cooool!).

Is there now or will there in the future be support in emacs for
freedesktop.org standard drag and drop?  Even just in the gtk version
(which I love by the way). Thanks.

John

* Re: Fill-paragraph for javadoc in netrexx mode
@ 2003-09-23 19:48       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-09-23 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there now or will there in the future be support in emacs for
> freedesktop.org standard drag and drop?  Even just in the gtk version
> (which I love by the way). Thanks.

You think you didn't get any answer, but in reality what you got was
silence, which means "nobody knows, hence nobody is working on it, so it's
`no' unless someone like you stands up and writes the code for it."

* Re: Fill-paragraph for javadoc in netrexx mode
@ 2003-09-23 19:50         ` John Russell
From: John Russell @ 2003-09-23 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> > Is there now or will there in the future be support in emacs for
> > freedesktop.org standard drag and drop?  Even just in the gtk version
> > (which I love by the way). Thanks.
>
> You think you didn't get any answer, but in reality what you got was
> silence, which means "nobody knows, hence nobody is working on it, so it's
> `no' unless someone like you stands up and writes the code for it."

You see, that's the answer that I was pretty sure I was getting, but
not at all the answer that I _wanted_.  Looks like its time to get me
some C chops.  Thanks.

John

* Re: Fill-paragraph for javadoc in netrexx mode
@ 2003-09-23 21:38     ` Arjan Bos
From: Arjan Bos @ 2003-09-23 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>>Do I need to copy the relevant elisp-code to my own mode?
>>
>>I think borrowing would be best in this case as jde is kinda heavy to
>>include, although its great for java development.
>

> I'd say, make a derived-mode:
>
>     (define-derived-mode netrexx-mode java-mode "NetRexx"
>       "A mode to edit NetRexx files."
>       ...)
>
> and in the `...' part, just change whatever needs to behave differently.
> You can derive from jde-mode if you prefer, of course.
>

>         Stefan "The derived-mode guy"
Derived Sir,
Is there a kind of tutorial or example I can shamelessly steal from that
shows how to do a derived-mode?

By the way, I already rolled some 1100 lines of elisp and doc-strings,
so I guess I'm a bit passed the derived-mode station. So I'll figure out
the requirements for fill-paragraph for javadoc and build my own. That
way I might learn a bit more about lisp.

And yes, I used the Source, Luke ;-)

TIA,

Arjan

* Re: Fill-paragraph for javadoc in netrexx mode
@ 2003-10-08 21:17       ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-10-08 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arjan Bos <Arjan.Bos@nospam.icu.nl> writes:

> Is there a kind of tutorial or example I can shamelessly steal from
> that shows how to do a derived-mode?

Well, err.  You just derive and then you tweak, no?  C-h f
define-derived-mode RET even contains two tutorials!  They are short,
but hey.  That just means that define-derived-mode is really easy to
explain.