all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to discard return value of a function?
@ 2012-08-19  9:35 Plamen Tanovski
From: Plamen Tanovski @ 2012-08-19  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'm trying to write a skeleton with (search-forward) in it. But
(search-forward) always returns the point and skeleton inserts it as a
string in the buffer, which of course is not what I want. Ho can I
discard the return value of a function? I searched the elisp reference
and the net but didn't found anything. Sure, I can assign the return to
a variable, but there must be a better solution.

best regards

* Re: How to discard return value of a function?
@ 2012-08-19  9:52 ` Leo
       [not found] ` <mailman.7236.1345369957.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leo @ 2012-08-19  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

(progn (YOURFUNCTION ...) nil)
--
Sent from my Emacs

@ 2012-08-20 19:47   ` jpkotta
From: jpkotta @ 2012-08-20 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.help; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:52:21 AM UTC-5, Leo wrote:
> (progn (YOURFUNCTION ...) nil)
>
> --
>
> Sent from my Emacs

You can also use advice, but (progn ... nil) is probably preferable.

(defun foo ()
  (interactive)
  t)

(defadvice foo (after modify-return-value activate)
  (setq ad-return-value nil))

* Re: How to discard return value of a function?
@ 2012-08-21  0:13     ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2012-08-21  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <88a339ab-f737-40d1-8f3a-7cd6b66c585e@googlegroups.com>,
 jpkotta <jpkotta@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:52:21 AM UTC-5, Leo wrote:
> > (progn (YOURFUNCTION ...) nil)
>
> You can also use advice, but (progn ... nil) is probably preferable.
>
> (defun foo ()
>   (interactive)
>   t)
>
> (defadvice foo (after modify-return-value activate)
>   (setq ad-return-value nil))

If he advised search-forward to return nil, that would break lots of
other things.  He just wants to ignore the return value in one
particular place where he calls it.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: How to discard return value of a function?
@ 2012-08-21 15:59       ` jpkotta
From: jpkotta @ 2012-08-21 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Monday, August 20, 2012 7:13:35 PM UTC-5, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <88a339ab-f737-40d1-8f3a-7cd6b66c585e@googlegroups.com>,
>
>  jpkotta <jpkotta@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:52:21 AM UTC-5, Leo wrote:
>
> > > (progn (YOURFUNCTION ...) nil)
>

> > You can also use advice, but (progn ... nil) is probably preferable.
>

> > (defun foo ()
>
> >   (interactive)
>
> >   t)
>

> > (defadvice foo (after modify-return-value activate)
>
> >   (setq ad-return-value nil))
>

> If he advised search-forward to return nil, that would break lots of
>
> other things.  He just wants to ignore the return value in one
>
> particular place where he calls it.
>

> --
>
> Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
>
> Arlington, MA

Yeah, I realized that after I posted.  I tried to delete the post but I guess it got posted twice for some reason.

@ 2012-08-22 15:04 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-08-22 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I'm trying to write a skeleton with (search-forward) in it. But
> (search-forward) always returns the point and skeleton inserts it as a
> string in the buffer, which of course is not what I want.

C-h f skeleton-insert RET says:

   Quoted Lisp expressions are evaluated for their side-effects.
   Other Lisp expressions are evaluated and the value treated as above.

so you can use '(search-forward ...) in your skeleton to tell skeleton
that the return value should be ignored.
Otherwise, you can also use (ignore (search-forward ...)) since `ignore'
always returns nil.