all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* kmacro-end-and-call-macro repeats macro multiple times following isearch-forward
@ 2013-08-18  8:08 nomiskatz
From: nomiskatz @ 2013-08-18  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've just upgraded from Emacs 24.2.1 to Emacs 24.3.1.

Full version details:
  "GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
   of 2012-08-27 on bob.porkrind.org"
  and
  "GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
   of 2013-03-13 on bob.porkrind.org"

If I have a buffer with some text that is repeated several times and do the following...
  - C-s   (isearch-forward)   to search for the repeated text
  - C-x (   (kmacro-start-macro)
  - Enter some new text
  - C-x e  (kmacro-end-and-call-macro)
... I get different behaviour in my old and new versions of Emacs.

In Emacs 24.2.1 and all previous versions I've used, kmacro-end-and-call-macro calls the macro once more, and I can go through the file making changes one at a time, and I can stop when I want.

In Emacs 24.3.1, kmacro-end-and-call-macro calls the macro repeatedly making changes to all the repeated text up to the end of the file.

Interestingly, if I define a similar keyboard macro that uses next-error rather than isearch-forward I get my changes one at a time.

Is this some bizarre new behaviour for isearch-forward? Can I get the old behaviour back?

_
Simon

* Re: kmacro-end-and-call-macro repeats macro multiple times following isearch-forward
@ 2013-08-18  9:13 ` nomiskatz
From: nomiskatz @ 2013-08-18  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Grrrr! And apologies.

I missed out a step -- calling isearch-forward from within the keyboard macro.  It should be:

  - C-s   (isearch-forward)   to search for the repeated text
  - C-x (   (kmacro-start-macro)
  - Enter some new text
  - C-s C-s   to search again

@ 2013-08-18  9:16 ` nomiskatz
From: nomiskatz @ 2013-08-18  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

(Deleting original message and posting this corrected version...)

@ 2013-08-18  9:21   ` nomiskatz
       [not found]   ` <mailman.266.1376849688.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: nomiskatz @ 2013-08-18  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

(Deleting original message and posting this corrected version... (again -- formatting problems).)

@ 2013-08-18  9:25     ` nomiskatz
From: nomiskatz @ 2013-08-18  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sorry for all these messages. Google Groups thinks there's quoted text when there isn't. I'll stop trying to fix things now.

To see my full message in Google Groups, click the "- show quoted text -" link.

* RE: kmacro-end-and-call-macro repeats macro multiple times following isearch-forward
@ 2013-08-18 18:14   ` Drew Adams
       [not found]   ` <mailman.266.1376849688.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-08-18 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: nomiskatz, help-gnu-emacs

I'm not sure I follow you, but If I try to follow your recipe in
Emacs 24.3 (from `emacs -Q') then I see this: Each time I use `f4'
(`kmacro-end-and-call-macro') the cursor is moved to (just after)
the next search hit.  That is what I would expect, and it is also
what I see in Emacs 24.1 (from `emacs -Q').

I did this in `*scratch*':

 C-s e r C-x ( C-s C-s C-x ) f4 f4 f4...

Unless I misunderstand you, if you see something different for that
recipe, then be sure something in your init file is not interfering.

If you can reproduce the problem you see from `emacs -Q' then consider
filing an Emacs bug: `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

@ 2013-08-18 21:15     ` nomiskatz
From: nomiskatz @ 2013-08-18 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, 18 August 2013 19:14:22 UTC+1, Drew Adams  wrote:
> I'm not sure I follow you, but If I try to follow your recipe in
>
> Emacs 24.3 (from `emacs -Q') then I see this: Each time I use `f4'
>
> (`kmacro-end-and-call-macro') the cursor is moved to (just after)
>
> the next search hit.  That is what I would expect, and it is also
>
> what I see in Emacs 24.1 (from `emacs -Q').
>

> I did this in `*scratch*':
>

>  C-s e r C-x ( C-s C-s C-x ) f4 f4 f4...
>

> Unless I misunderstand you, if you see something different for that
>
> recipe, then be sure something in your init file is not interfering.
>

> If you can reproduce the problem you see from `emacs -Q' then consider
>
> filing an Emacs bug: `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

Thanks for trying it.

I did this (I'm on OS X):

  /Applications/Emacs-24-3-1.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q

Then in the *scratch* buffer:

  C-s   e r   C-x (   x x x x   C-s C-s   C-x e

Emacs made multiple changes for the  C-x e.

I'll file a bug report.

Thanks again.

* Re: kmacro-end-and-call-macro repeats macro multiple times following isearch-forward
@ 2013-08-19  8:56       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-08-19  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: nomiskatz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.08.2013 um 23:15 schrieb nomiskatz@gmail.com:

> I'll file a bug report.

I tried with a few NS versions (23.4, 24.2, 24.3, 24.3.50) on Mac OS X 10.6.8, Snow Leopard, and did not see any differences. All my Emacsen are self-compiled.

--
Greetings

  Pete

A census taker is a man who goes from house to house increasing the population.

* Re: kmacro-end-and-call-macro repeats macro multiple times following isearch-forward
@ 2013-08-20 10:58       ` nomiskatz
From: nomiskatz @ 2013-08-20 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

See https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gnu.emacs.bug/i2DKFcWfzfY/9QMePrbxpiQJ