all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Automatically setting buffer name for term buffers
@ 2009-06-30 22:35 Neil Baylis
From: Neil Baylis @ 2009-06-30 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I use an xterm, I can set my shell prompt so that it puts the
current directory (or whatever..) in the xterm title bar. Is there a
way I can do this with an emacs term buffer? I would want to change
the buffer name to something that came from the shell that's executing
in the buffer. This way, when I look at the buffer list, it would be
easy to distinguish which term buffer is which. I don't want to have
to enter the name manually.

* Re: Automatically setting buffer name for term buffers
@ 2009-07-01  6:43 ` Anselm Helbig
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2009-07-01  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

> When I use an xterm, I can set my shell prompt so that it puts the
> current directory (or whatever..) in the xterm title bar. Is there a
> way I can do this with an emacs term buffer? I would want to change
> the buffer name to something that came from the shell that's executing
> in the buffer. This way, when I look at the buffer list, it would be
> easy to distinguish which term buffer is which. I don't want to have
> to enter the name manually.

Looks like it can be done:

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FrameTitle#toc4

I didn't try it, though.

HTH,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig
mailto:anselm.helbig+news2009@googlemail.com

* Re: Automatically setting buffer name for term buffers
@ 2009-07-01 18:13   ` Neil Baylis
From: Neil Baylis @ 2009-07-01 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 30, 11:43 pm, Anselm Helbig <anselm.helbig
+news2...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > When I use an xterm, I can set my shell prompt so that it puts the
> > current directory (or whatever..) in the xterm title bar. Is there a
> > way I can do this with an emacs term buffer? I would want to change
> > the buffer name to something that came from the shell that's executing
> > in the buffer. This way, when I look at the buffer list, it would be
> > easy to distinguish which term buffer is which. I don't want to have
> > to enter the name manually.
>
> Looks like it can be done:
>
>  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FrameTitle#toc4
>
> I didn't try it, though.
>
> HTH,
>
> Anselm
>
> --
> Anselm Helbig
> mailto:anselm.helbig+news2...@googlemail.com

That seems to set the emacs frame title. What I want is to set the
buffer name based on something output by the shell that's running in
the buffer.

* Re: Automatically setting buffer name for term buffers
@ 2009-07-02  8:08     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-07-02  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Baylis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 01.07.2009 um 20:13 schrieb Neil Baylis:

> That seems to set the emacs frame title. What I want is to set the
> buffer name based on something output by the shell that's running in
> the buffer.

You can write a function to rename your *shell* buffer's name and add
it as a hook that is executed every time you press RET (comint-send-
input) in it… Maybe there are already some things prepared in comint,
just RTFM!

--
Greetings
                                  <]