all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#5300: su command does not elevate user privilege to root when run inside term/ansi-term mode
       [not found] <3f2beab61001031107r794c6321x11410089d0e313af@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-01-03 19:24 ` Praveen A
From: Praveen A @ 2010-01-03 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Hi,

su command does not a make a normal user root when run inside term
mode. A full terminal emulator is expected to work with su.

Thanks
Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
(as seen on /.)

* bug#5300: su command does not elevate user privilege to root when run inside term/ansi-term mode
@ 2010-01-07 21:30   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-01-07 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Praveen A; +Cc: 5300

Praveen A wrote:

> su command does not a make a normal user root when run inside term
> mode.

So what does happen then?

emacs -Q -f term
bash RET
bash> su
password RET

works fine for me. So does ssh.

* bug#5300: su command does not elevate user privilege to root when run inside term/ansi-term mode
@ 2010-01-11 15:52     ` Praveen A
From: Praveen A @ 2010-01-11 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 5300

2010/1/8 Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>:
> Praveen A wrote:
>
>> su command does not a make a normal user root when run inside term
>> mode.
>
> So what does happen then?

It just gives you the normal user shell prompt (both for ssh and su)

pravi@savannah:~$ ssh localhost
pravi@localhost's password:
Linux savannah 2.6.30-2-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Sep 25 22:16:56 UTC 2009 x86_64

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
You have mail.
Last login: Mon Jan 11 13:46:53 2010 from localhost
Connection to localhost closed.
pravi@savannah:~$

> emacs -Q -f term
> bash RET
> bash> su
> password RET
>
> works fine for me. So does ssh.

I'm using emacs 23.1+1-5 from debian testing, it is also failing with
a trunk built emacs too.

It just

--

@ 2010-01-14  3:12       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-01-14  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Praveen A; +Cc: 5300

Praveen A wrote:

> pravi@savannah:~$ ssh localhost
> pravi@localhost's password:
> Linux savannah 2.6.30-2-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Sep 25 22:16:56 UTC 2009 x86_64
>
> The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
> the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
> individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.
>
> Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
> permitted by applicable law.
> You have mail.
> Last login: Mon Jan 11 13:46:53 2010 from localhost
> Connection to localhost closed.

So, it seems to work fine, but when the shell finishes initializing it
logs out? Is there anything odd going on in your shell configuration
files (bashrc, profile, etc?)

* bug#5300: su command does not elevate user privilege to root when run inside term/ansi-term mode
@ 2010-01-14  8:57         ` Praveen A
From: Praveen A @ 2010-01-14  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 5300

2010/1/14 Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>:
> So, it seems to work fine, but when the shell finishes initializing it
> logs out? Is there anything odd going on in your shell configuration
> files (bashrc, profile, etc?)

All the configurations are default ones. Moreover both su and ssh are
working with gnome-terminal. I tried these commands in trunk compiled
emacs and packaged emacs both on fedora 12 and debian squeeze/testing,
it is failing every where.

I will try if the same problem is there on my colleagues' systems tomorrow.