all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* "Favorites" menu ?
@ 2003-03-26  9:10 Charles Muller
From: Charles Muller @ 2003-03-26  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

We see discussion on the list on a fairly regular basis about Emacs add-ons
such as recentf.el, session.el, etc., that allow us access to the
files that one has been working with recently.

Another sort of related thing that I have been missing is a "favorites"
menu, a place where I can have ready access to files that I need at least
every few days or so, but will usually slip off of the recent files list. I
googled around a bit for this, but did not turn up anything. Has anyone
heard of something like this?

Chuck

---------------------------
Charles Muller  <acmuller@gol.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary [http://www.acmuller.net]
H-Buddhism List Editor [http://www2.h-net.msu.edu/~buddhism/]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787

* Re: "Favorites" menu ?
       [not found] <mailman.3660.1048669886.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-03-26 10:13 ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2003-03-26 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charles Muller <acmuller@gol.com> writes:

> Another sort of related thing that I have been missing is a "favorites"
> menu, a place where I can have ready access to files that I need at least
> every few days or so, but will usually slip off of the recent files list. I
> googled around a bit for this, but did not turn up anything. Has anyone
> heard of something like this?

You may try:

C-x r m : set a bookmark
C-x r b : jump to a bookmark
C-c r l : see the list of bookmarks

Is that what you want?

--
Bastien

@ 2003-03-26 12:31 ` Thomas Link
From: Thomas Link @ 2003-03-26 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Another sort of related thing that I have been missing is a "favorites"
> menu, a place where I can have ready access to files that I need at least
> every few days or so, but will usually slip off of the recent files list. I
> googled around a bit for this, but did not turn up anything. Has anyone
> heard of something like this?

You could give (well, my own) filesets.el a try. It should be included
in the Emacs version in cvs, I think.

http://members.a1.net/t.link/CompEmacsFilesets.html

Cheers,
Thomas.

* Re: "Favorites" menu ?
@ 2003-03-26 14:52   ` Charles Muller
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3697.1048708286.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Charles Muller @ 2003-03-26 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thomas,

> You could give (well, my own) filesets.el a try. It should be included
> in the Emacs version in cvs, I think.

Please ignore my prior message. I had not installed all the necessary
files. I haven't tried to run it yet, but at least no load error.

Regards,

Chuck

---------------------------

@ 2003-03-26 19:47   ` Charles Muller
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3697.1048708286.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Charles Muller @ 2003-03-26 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thomas Link wrote:

> You could give (well, my own) filesets.el a try. It should be included
> in the Emacs version in cvs, I think.
>
> http://members.a1.net/t.link/CompEmacsFilesets.html

I have installed this, and I have a "filesets" tab on my "file" menu.

But I've read the directions on the web page about ten times, and looked
through the customization and edit selections, and must confess that I don't
have a clue as to how I am supposed to create a fileset. Is there any chance
of getting a more basic explanation?

Regards,

Chuck

---------------------------

@ 2003-03-27  9:31     ` Thomas Link
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3726.1048767696.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thomas Link @ 2003-03-27  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> But I've read the directions on the web page about ten times, and looked
> through the customization and edit selections, and must confess that I don't
> have a clue as to how I am supposed to create a fileset. Is there any chance
> of getting a more basic explanation?

I will write a step-by-step guide if I find some time. Basically, you
should select "Edit Filesets" from the menu, click on "[INS]", define a
name (which has to be unique), click on "Data [INS]", select a fileset
type (probably "files" or "tree") and fill in the information. Then
click the set button and the fileset should be rebuilt the next time you
activate the menubar.

Anyway, if you're using the version from the website, you could also
test the new dired integration, after having issued the command
filesets-support-dired (works only with filesets of type "files"). If
you want to add the file in the current buffer, you could also use the
command "filesets-add-buffer". Hope this helps -- at least a little bit.

Regards,
Thomas.

* Re: "Favorites" menu ?
@ 2003-03-27 12:20       ` Charles Muller
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3726.1048767696.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Charles Muller @ 2003-03-27 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thomas,

Thanks for taking the time to help.

> Basically, you
> should select "Edit Filesets" from the menu, click on "[INS]", define a
> name (which has to be unique), click on "Data [INS]", select a fileset
> type (probably "files" or "tree") and fill in the information.

This gets me part of the way there, in that I am able to open up both of
these [INS] functions and input data as you explain. But I tried to start
simply by adding one file like this:

INS DEL Fileset:
            Name: Temp Files Cleanup
            INS DEL Type: Value Menu Files:
                        Files:
                        INS DEL File: /home/chuck/bin/cleanups
                        INS
            INS

>Then
> click the set button and the fileset should be rebuilt the next time you
> activate the menubar.

When I push either of the Set buttons, I get this error.

setq: Symbol's function definition is void: lax-plist-put

> you could also use the
> command "filesets-add-buffer". Hope this helps -- at least a little bit.

I also tried "filesets-add-buffer"

Like this...

Add '.emacs' to fileset:

But it seems that I need to have a predefined fileset somewhere to do this--right?

In any case, I am apparently still missing something. I don't want to be a
pain if you are busy, but if you can pinpoint the problem without a great
deal of difficulty, I'd love to be able to get this working. I waste an
awful lot of time digging up the same essential files again and again.

Chuck

---------------------------

@ 2003-03-27 13:31         ` Thomas Link
From: Thomas Link @ 2003-03-27 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> When I push either of the Set buttons, I get this error.
>
> setq: Symbol's function definition is void: lax-plist-put

If you're using the version from the website, you should also
load/require the file:
	http://members.a1.net/t.link/filesets-emacs.el.gz
If you use Emacs <= 21.2, you need this one too:
	http://members.a1.net/t.link/filesets-suppl.el.gz

> I also tried "filesets-add-buffer"
>
> Like this...
>
> Add '.emacs' to fileset:
>
> But it seems that I need to have a predefined fileset somewhere to do this--right?

If you enter the name of a non-existing fileset, it will/should be
created (after querying the user). Just try it out.

Cheers,
Thomas.