all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* reading .msg files from MS Outlook
@ 2014-03-21 19:06 Buchs, Kevin J.
From: Buchs, Kevin J. @ 2014-03-21 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

 From time to time I want to open a .msg file which has been created
from Outlook in emacs on GNU/Linux. The file is a mixed binary/text
compound document. I'm interested in the text and in the sections that
contain that, apparently there is a 16-bit encoding where the upper byte
is null (for English text). But, double nulls mean something different.

I just gave my 'ol college try at employing a variety of character
encodings when reading the file to no avail.
In the past I did some complex replacements to get rid of nulls and
still keep word separation.

I have to wonder, is there a better way?

-- Kevin Buchs

* Re: reading .msg files from MS Outlook
@ 2014-03-24 20:43 ` W. Greenhouse
From: W. Greenhouse @ 2014-03-24 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

"Buchs, Kevin J." <buchs.kevin-3dqG1TfY5Cg@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I have to wonder, is there a better way?

Outlook .msg files can be opened by Gnus as `nndoc' groups, via
`gnus-group-make-doc-group' or G f from the *Group* buffer (see (info
"(gnus) Document Groups") and (info "(gnus) Foreign Groups")).

(Depending on your thoughts on Gnus, this is either a pleasant
revelation or a new problem!)

--
Best,
WGG