all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to insert a new line below current line?
@ 2006-11-02  2:37 gniuxiao
From: gniuxiao @ 2006-11-02  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have to type C-e (move to end) then C-j (enter with indentation) to
do it, are there better solutions?

Thanks.

* Re: How to insert a new line below current line?
@ 2006-11-02  4:39 ` gniuxiao
       [not found] ` <mailman.49.1162442373.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: gniuxiao @ 2006-11-02  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I mean, if I'm at the middle of the current line.

@ 2006-11-02  4:54   ` Chris Menzel
       [not found]     ` <mailman.54.1162455246.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Chris Menzel @ 2006-11-02  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 12:39:28 +0800, gniuxiao
<gniuxiao.mailinglist@gmail.com> said:
> I mean, if I'm at the middle of the current line.

>> I have to type C-e (move to end) then C-j (enter with indentation) to
>> do it, are there better solutions?

You mean you want to be able to do with with one keystroke instead of
two?

* Re: How to insert a new line below current line?
@ 2006-11-02  8:14     ` gniuxiao
       [not found]     ` <mailman.54.1162455246.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: gniuxiao @ 2006-11-02  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Yes! And I want to know if there exists the default keystroke rather
than writing elisp.

@ 2006-11-02 11:24 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-11-02 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.11.2006 um 03:37 schrieb gniuxiao:

> I have to type C-e (move to end) then C-j (enter with indentation) to
> do it, are there better solutions?

Create a macro that inserts both codes or executes both commands!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Increase the size of your bike by at least *five* inches!

* Re: How to insert a new line below current line?
       [not found] <mailman.60.1162465827.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-11-02 12:51 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-11-02 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have to type C-e (move to end) then C-j (enter with indentation)
> to do it, are there better solutions?

Just in case you want to do the opposite some time, i.e. to push the
current line down and get an empty line at point, try out C-o,
`open-line'.

@ 2006-11-02 16:04       ` Chris Menzel
From: Chris Menzel @ 2006-11-02 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 16:14:00 +0800, gniuxiao

>> You mean you want to be able to do with with one keystroke instead of
>> two?
>
> Yes! And I want to know if there exists the default keystroke rather
> than writing elisp.

I don't believe there is a builtin command for this.  You could of
course write a macro and assign it to a single keystroke, but I must say
I have a hard time perceiving much of a difference in effort between
"Hold down Ctrl, <key>" and "Hold down Ctrl, ej" given the lightening
quick reflexes of the average Emacs user. :-)

@ 2006-11-06 15:15 ` jmg3000
From: jmg3000 @ 2006-11-06 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

gniuxiao wrote:
> I have to type C-e (move to end) then C-j (enter with indentation) to
> do it, are there better solutions?
>
> Thanks.

I've found that, when writing Perl code, cperl-mode makes C-j do what
you're looking for.

---John