all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can't Print with Emacs 21.2 on WindowsXP
@ 2002-11-04  1:05 Doug M
From: Doug M @ 2002-11-04  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Can't print with emacs on WindowsXP.  Other apps do.
Can't find .emacs file, but found .emacs.d directory.  Hmm?
Made sure ps-printer-name and printer-name were set to one of "LPT1", "USB",
and "USB001" with the printer connected as indicated.  Did this with M-x
set-variable.  Looked with C-h v <var name> and noted descriptions.  Also
made sure lpr-command and ps-lpr-command were the empty string, i.e. "" .

Looked in emacs manual (C-h i mEmacs) for instructions.  Hence above
approach.

Looked online via google.  Found indication that variable pairs
printer-name/ps-printer-name and lpr-command/ps-lpr-command need to be the
same thing.  Tried that.

Here are relevant facts:

21.2 of GNU Emacs taken from archive
emacs-21.2-bin-i386.tar.gz
Emacs shows version: GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.1.2600) of 2002-03-19
on buffy
Windows XP
Samsung ML-1430 Laser Printer
Tried USB and Parallel Connections/Ports
The USB port seems to be a virtual port according to the driver properties.
The printer works with other apps.

Any insights or note of similar problem appreciated,

--Doug Morris,
dougbmorris@yahoo.com

* Re: Can't Print with Emacs 21.2 on WindowsXP
@ 2002-11-04  5:53 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-11-04  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 3 Nov 2002, Doug M wrote:

> Can't print with emacs on WindowsXP.  Other apps do.
> Can't find .emacs file, but found .emacs.d directory.  Hmm?
> Made sure ps-printer-name and printer-name were set to one of "LPT1", "USB",
> and "USB001" with the printer connected as indicated.  Did this with M-x
> set-variable.  Looked with C-h v <var name> and noted descriptions.  Also
> made sure lpr-command and ps-lpr-command were the empty string, i.e. "" .
>
> Looked in emacs manual (C-h i mEmacs) for instructions.  Hence above
> approach.

The Emacs manual has Windows-specific instructions in the node named
"MS-DOS Printing" (don't be turned off by its name: it's not only for
DOS).  Did you read that as well?  If so, did you try the port-capture
method or the "net use" method?

Can you get a text file printed on that machine by typing this from the
DOS box:

	copy foo.txt lpt1

?

* Re: Can't Print with Emacs 21.2 on WindowsXP
@ 2002-11-04  8:20 ` Julien Avarre
From: Julien Avarre @ 2002-11-04  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Doug M" <dougbmorris@yahoo.com> has said on 11/04/02 :

> From: "Doug M" <dougbmorris@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Can't Print with Emacs 21.2 on WindowsXP
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 20:05:37 -0500
>
> Hi,
>
> Can't print with emacs on WindowsXP.  Other apps do.
> Can't find .emacs file, but found .emacs.d directory.  Hmm?
> Made sure ps-printer-name and printer-name were set to one of "LPT1", "USB",
> and "USB001" with the printer connected as indicated.  Did this with M-x
> set-variable.  Looked with C-h v <var name> and noted descriptions.  Also
> made sure lpr-command and ps-lpr-command were the empty string, i.e. "" .
>
> Looked in emacs manual (C-h i mEmacs) for instructions.  Hence above
> approach.
>
> Looked online via google.  Found indication that variable pairs
> printer-name/ps-printer-name and lpr-command/ps-lpr-command need to be the
> same thing.  Tried that.

When I use Emacs on Ms Windows®, I'm printing with printfile.
You'll need to use customize you Emacs.

M-x customize-group lpr

I forgot the exact values to put in. But I guess you should put the path for
printfile instead of _lpr-command_.

                   http://www.lerup.com/printfile/

Good luck and tell me your results.

--
Julien ``Eole'' Avarre
julien@avarre.com

* Re: Can't Print with Emacs 21.2 on WindowsXP
       [not found] <mailman.1036389991.1511.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-11  2:23 ` Doug M
From: Doug M @ 2002-11-11  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the suggestions.  Very helpful!

Turns out that the Windows XP supported Samsung ML-1430 laser printer does
not work from the DOS command line interface.  I suspect the driver was not
written to support it.  Samsung's unsatifactory reply to my inquery is
below.  I have not yet investigated whether
printfile (http://www.lerup.com/printfile/) will work around this.
------Samsung-Support-Dialog-----------------

This unit cannot print in DOS. This is very simple and straight
forward. When making a major hardware purchase in the furture we advise
varifing what its capibilities are, before making this type of investment.

**********  Don't Remove "[SN********]" from the title  *************
  When you inquire about our answer...
  With the Serial Number, we could identify your message.

[ You Wrote ]
Dear Samsung Representative,

Thanks for your reply.  However, I cannot just buy
another printer.  I spent $200 on the ML-1340 and
can't take it back since it has been too long.  I
would like to have known it handles Windows and Linux
but not handle DOS!  The DOS is emulated on Windows XP
and who would have thought a printer would only print
in Windows XP without using the DOS command line?

Why does the ML-1340 not print from DOS of Windows XP?
 Is it just a lack of driver function?  Other reason?

I will consider posting my dissatisfaction on usenet
and the web if Samsung does not convince me the
technology barrier is more substantial than writing a
DOS driver for the ML-1430.

Thanks for your consideration,
--Doug Morris

------Samsung-Support-Dialog-----------------

@ 2002-11-11  5:58   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-11-11  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Doug M wrote:

> Turns out that the Windows XP supported Samsung ML-1430 laser printer does
> not work from the DOS command line interface.

Nevertheless, your cause is not lost yet.  I suggest to explore the
possibility of using the port-capture feature of Windows to redirect LPT1
(or any other LPTx) port to your printer.  This can be done via START ->
Settings -> Printers, then right-click on your printer's icon and choose
Properties.  Finally, click on the Ports tab.  (The names of the menu
items could be different on your version of Windows.)

Once you told Windows to capture LPT1 and redirect it to your printer,
set printer-name to "LPT1" and try printing something.