all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* writing an own version of setq?
@ 2002-10-09 10:34 Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2002-10-09 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have written the code below to give me a save setq which only sets the new
value if the symbol is not already saved via customize:

,----
| (defmacro custom-saved-p (option)
|   "Return only not nil if OPTION is a defcustom-option and has a saved
| value. "
|   `(and (get ,option 'custom-type)
|         (get ,option 'saved-value)))
|
| (defmacro setq-save (option value)
|   "Sets OPTION to VALUE if and only if OPTION is not already saved by
| customize."
|   `(and (not (custom-saved-p ,option))
|         (set ,option ,value)))
`----

OK, calls like (setq-save 'klaus (+ 1 2)) work fine but I'm not really
satisfied because i want to write (setq-save klaus (+ 1 2)). Note the missing
quote! How can i achieve this?

(I know, for a complete setq-save i have to add the semantic for many
symbol-value-pairs like in the *setq* but this should not be a big problem...)

many thanks in advance!
Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: writing an own version of setq?
@ 2002-10-09 13:09 ` Thomas Link
From: Thomas Link @ 2002-10-09 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> OK, calls like (setq-save 'klaus (+ 1 2)) work fine but I'm not really
> satisfied because i want to write (setq-save klaus (+ 1 2)). Note the missing
> quote! How can i achieve this?

You could possibly replace ,option with (quote ,option) like in:

(defmacro setq-save (option value)
   "Sets OPTION to VALUE if and only if OPTION is not already saved by
  customize."
   `(and (not (custom-saved-p ,option))
	(set (quote ,option) ,value)))

(setq-save x 1)

Setting the variable with setq or defvar is ok for you?

Cheers,
Thomas.

* Re: writing an own version of setq?
@ 2002-10-09 13:48   ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2002-10-09 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 09 Oct 2002, Thomas Link wrote:

> > OK, calls like (setq-save 'klaus (+ 1 2)) work fine but I'm not really
> > satisfied because i want to write (setq-save klaus (+ 1 2)). Note the
> > missing quote! How can i achieve this?
>
>  You could possibly replace ,option with (quote ,option) like in:
>
>  (defmacro setq-save (option value)
>     "Sets OPTION to VALUE if and only if OPTION is not already saved by
>    customize."
>     `(and (not (custom-saved-p ,option))
>  	(set (quote ,option) ,value)))
>
>  (setq-save x 1)

Yes, (quote ...) works, thanks!

>  Setting the variable with setq or defvar is ok for you?

Hmm, what do you mean? I do not understand...

Ciao,
Klaus

--

@ 2002-10-09 14:20     ` Thomas Link
From: Thomas Link @ 2002-10-09 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Setting the variable with setq or defvar is ok for you?
>

> Hmm, what do you mean? I do not understand...

Well ... ah ... Me neither. But I think I meant: I had the idea that it
could also be useful to check if the symbol hasn't been bound yet --
using either setq or defvar etc. This could be done by replacing
custom-saved-p with boundp. So the question was: considering this
possibility, this is no issue for you?

Cheers,
Thomas.

* Re: writing an own version of setq?
@ 2002-10-09 14:44       ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2002-10-09 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 09 Oct 2002, Thomas Link wrote:

> >> Setting the variable with setq or defvar is ok for you?
> > Hmm, what do you mean? I do not understand...
>
>  Well ... ah ... Me neither. But I think I meant: I had the idea that it
>  could also be useful to check if the symbol hasn't been bound yet -- using
>  either setq or defvar etc. This could be done by replacing custom-saved-p
>  with boundp. So the question was: considering this possibility, this is no
>  issue for you?

ah, OK, now it's clear...Good point, but this is no issue for me.

Klaus

--

@ 2002-10-10 11:53 ` Dave Pearson
From: Dave Pearson @ 2002-10-10 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Klaus Berndl <Klaus.Berndl@sdm.de>:

> ,----
> | (defmacro setq-save (option value)
> |   "Sets OPTION to VALUE if and only if OPTION is not already saved by
> | customize."
> |   `(and (not (custom-saved-p ,option))
> |         (set ,option ,value)))
> `----
>
> OK, calls like (setq-save 'klaus (+ 1 2)) work fine but I'm not really
> satisfied because i want to write (setq-save klaus (+ 1 2)). Note the
> missing quote! How can i achieve this?

How about this:

-- cut here ----------------------------------------------------------------
(defmacro setq-save (option value)
  "Sets OPTION to VALUE if and only if OPTION is not already saved by
customize."
  `(and (not (custom-saved-p ',option))
        (setq ,option ,value)))

It might not be important to you but you might want to note that your `setq'
doesn't quite work the same as `setq' itself. `setq' takes multiple sym/val
pairs.

--
Dave Pearson:                   |     lbdb.el - LBDB interface.
http://www.davep.org/           |  sawfish.el - Sawfish mode.