all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Shell Mode 'cd' Strangeness
@ 2008-01-14 18:54 gamename
From: gamename @ 2008-01-14 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Using tab-completion has a strange side-effect that I cannot explain.
I have a directory structure like this:
~/boojum/FooBar

If I try to cd to the FooBar dir using tab completion like this it
works:

> cd boojum/foo<tab><enter>

(Note the lowercase 'foo' and the absence of a leading "./" on the dir
name)

However, if I do the exact same thing, but this time pre-pending "./",
it will fail:

> cd ./boojum/foo<tab><enter>
bash: cd: ./boojum/fooBr/: No such file or directory

Any ideas why this would happen?  I have dot (".") in my path, so it
should work.   This is on bash on fedora 7.

TIA,
-T

* Re: Shell Mode 'cd' Strangeness
@ 2008-01-14 20:41 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.6125.1200343298.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-01-14 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gamename; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.01.2008 um 19:54 schrieb gamename:

> Using tab-completion has a strange side-effect that I cannot explain.

Could you also provide some hint in which situation with which mode
(s) this happens?

--
Greetings

   Pete

One cannot live by television, video games, top ten CDs, and dumb
movies alone
				– Amiri Baraka, 1999

@ 2008-01-14 20:52   ` gamename
From: gamename @ 2008-01-14 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Oops. Its in vanilla shell mode.

@ 2008-01-14 23:01 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.6128.1200351720.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-01-14 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gamename; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.01.2008 um 19:54 schrieb gamename:

> However, if I do the exact same thing, but this time pre-pending "./",
> it will fail:
>
>> cd ./boojum/foo<tab><enter>
> bash: cd: ./boojum/fooBr/: No such file or directory
>
> Any ideas why this would happen?  I have dot (".") in my path, so it
> should work.   This is on bash on fedora 7.

This is definitely strange. Can you reproduce this also when
launching GNU Emacs with -Q and removing ~/.emacs_bash and also all
bash related RC files, including ~/.inputrc? Could be any of these is
interfering. Is TAB bound to comint-dynamic-complete?

--
Greetings

   Pete

We also sponsor National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week
annually in September.
Join the millions

@ 2008-01-14 23:40   ` gamename
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6137.1200388442.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: gamename @ 2008-01-14 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 14, 3:01 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 14.01.2008 um 19:54 schrieb gamename:
>
> > However, if I do the exact same thing, but this time pre-pending "./",
> > it will fail:
>
> >> cd ./boojum/foo<tab><enter>
> > bash: cd: ./boojum/fooBr/: No such file or directory
>
> > Any ideas why this would happen?  I have dot (".") in my path, so it
> > should work.   This is on bash on fedora 7.
>
> This is definitely strange. Can you reproduce this also when
> launching GNU Emacs with -Q and removing ~/.emacs_bash and also all
> bash related RC files, including ~/.inputrc? Could be any of these is
> interfering. Is TAB bound to comint-dynamic-complete?
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete
>
> We also sponsor National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week
> annually in September.
> Join the millions

When I start emacs with "-Q", the problem appears to go away.  If the
subdir "FooBar" is partially spelled, the completion will _not_ happen
unless the leading "F" is upper case. In no case does the shell care
if there is a leading "./" or not.

Example:
tnsfc7:~
> cd boojum/foo<tab><enter>
bash: cd: boojum/foo: No such file or directory
tnsfc7:~
> cd ./boojum/foo<tab><enter>
bash: cd: ./boojum/foo: No such file or directory
tnsfc7:~
> cd boojum/Foo<tab><enter>
tnsfc7:~/boojum/FooBar

tnsfc7:~
> cd ./boojum/Foo<tab><enter>
tnsfc7:~/boojum/FooBar

* Re: Shell Mode 'cd' Strangeness
@ 2008-01-15  9:13     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6137.1200388442.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-01-15  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gamename; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.01.2008 um 00:40 schrieb gamename:

> When I start emacs with "-Q", the problem appears to go away.  If the
> subdir "FooBar" is partially spelled, the completion will _not_ happen
> unless the leading "F" is upper case. In no case does the shell care
> if there is a leading "./" or not.

So your customisation (or the system's settings) is the culprit. It
works to break down the half of ~/.emacs (the other half is
commented) that *does* introduce the fault, to a new half (a quarter
of the original) that still does create the fault. Then you'll work
with a faulty eighth, a faulty sixteenth ... of the original lines,
until one statement is left: the responsible one.

--
Greetings

   Pete

A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

@ 2008-01-15 11:19       ` gamename
From: gamename @ 2008-01-15 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> So your customisation (or the system's settings) is the culprit. It
> works to break down the half of ~/.emacs (the other half is
> commented) that *does* introduce the fault, to a new half (a quarter
> of the original) that still does create the fault. Then you'll work
> with a faulty eighth, a faulty sixteenth ... of the original lines,
> until one statement is left: the responsible one.

Agree.  That's what I'm doing. Thanks for the help.