all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: mecklen@cimsoft.com (Robert Mecklenburg)
Subject: Re: Off-topic: Plain text, XML or LaTex?
Date: 25 Jun 2003 12:30:45 -0700	[thread overview]

Mac <oonplnhd02@sneakemail.com> wrote in message news:<81y8zqld4q.fsf@kwikemart.springfield.se>...
> After reading your posts, I think I'll start by trying out the
> "XML/docbook in XAE" solution.
>
> I like the fact that XML is machine-processable, and the theory that
> it can be converted to other formats (HTML, PDF, hmm, should it not be
> able to generate "reader friendly" plain-text as well?;-), not
> forgetting the "sales factor" it has.

You should take a very serious look at texinfo.  From a single texinfo
source file you can generate docbook, xml, html, TeX, info, and plain
text.  Obviously, the "sales factor" you'll get will be equivalent to
straight xml, but you'll also have the flexibility of the other
formats.  Texinfo is very pleasant to read and write (unlike docbook,
IMHO).  Emacs support for texinfo is excellent.  The ability to view
your "formatted" document as plain text is quite convenient also as
you edit in emacs.  Finally, it is an "industrial strength" solution,
quite a few books have been done in texinfo.

Cheers,
Robert