all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Saving frames across sessions
@ 2014-01-27 16:15 Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-01-27 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

 I generally use emacs --daemon on a remote server and then attach to it
via emacsclient -c -nw. This works really well and has served as a
replacement for screen/tmux (I can do everything inside emacs and it makes
life a lot easier in many ways).

One thing I've noticed though is that while emacs --daemon saves the
buffers that are open, it doesn't remember my frame arrangements.

Generally speaking, I have one frame for all my code, and then a second
frame for a set of terminals (it's a distributed code, so sometimes I have
to ssh into another remote machine, git pull, compile, run this
machine-specific portion, etc).

When I close otu and leave, and come back, I'd like to just be able to
start emacsclient again and have the frame setup preserved, so I don't have
to do it all again each time.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks,
Jai

* RE: Saving frames across sessions
@ 2014-01-27 16:23 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-01-27 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jai Dayal, help-gnu-emacs

> Is there an easy way to do this?

Wait for Emacs 24.4 - you can use desktop.el to save & restore frame
and window configurations also.  Or pick up a recent pre-24.4
development snapshot.

* Re: Saving frames across sessions
@ 2014-01-27 16:26   ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-01-27 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I did not know of that. A quick Google returns this:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DeskTop

It seems that this is available for earlier versions of Emacs? Or is it
broken and supposed to be fixed with Emacs 24.4

Thanks much!!!!
Jai

@ 2014-01-27 17:38     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-01-27 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jai Dayal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I did not know of that. A quick Google returns this:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DeskTop
> It seems that this is available for earlier versions of Emacs?
> Or is it broken and supposed to be fixed with Emacs 24.4

Saving and restoring desktops is not new.  What is new for Emacs
24.4 is that this can optionally include saving and restoring

@ 2014-01-27 17:53       ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-01-27 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ah, I understand. I was interpreting "desktop" to be synonymous with frames
and window configs, but I can see now that there's a distinction between
the them.

Thanks,
Jai

@ 2014-01-27 21:13         ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-01-27 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Surprisingly, I'm not able to find something that works well for Emacs
24.3. Does anyone else do this with 24.3?

Jai