all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bookmark-jump failing to jump to correct location
@ 2020-10-23 20:12 bobf32
From: bobf32 @ 2020-10-23 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'd like to report a problem I have encountered with bookmark-jump. I have
reproduced the problem with emacs -Q and no pre-existing bookmark file.

I am using a spacemacs configuration of Emacs 26.1 under WSL on Windows 10.
I cannot reproduce the problem using a similar Emacs 26.3 config running
under Windows directly.

Steps to reproduce
1. Start Emacs
2. Load two files
3. Set a bookmark, using bookmark-set, named a in one of the files.
4. Move cursor to a line other than bookmark a (call it line x).
5. Switch buffers to file 2.
6. Execute bookmark-jump and navigate to bookmark a.

Observed behaviour
1. The buffer containing bookmark a is made current, but the cursor
position is unchanged, at line x.

Expected behaviour
1. The buffer containing bookmark a is made current and the cursor is
positioned at the line defined by bookmark a.

* Re: bookmark-jump failing to jump to correct location
@ 2020-10-23 20:45 ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2020-10-23 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bobf32, help-gnu-emacs

bobf32@gmail.com writes:

> I'd like to report a problem I have encountered with bookmark-jump. I have
> reproduced the problem with emacs -Q and no pre-existing bookmark file.

Could you please send this bug report to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org instead?

When you send bug reports to this list, there is no predetermined way
for us to handle them so we risk forgetting about it.

* RE: bookmark-jump failing to jump to correct location
@ 2020-10-23 21:03   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2020-10-23 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas, bobf32, help-gnu-emacs

> > I'd like to report a problem I have encountered with bookmark-jump. I have
> > reproduced the problem with emacs -Q and no pre-existing bookmark file.
>
> Could you please send this bug report to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org instead?
>
> When you send bug reports to this list, there is no predetermined way
> for us to handle them so we risk forgetting about it.

tl;dr: use `M-x report-emacs-bug' to submit a bug report.

When you use `M-x report-emacs-bug', which is the best
way to send a bug report to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org,
your report will automatically include your Emacs
version etc., which is often an important part of
the recipe to reproduce the problem.