all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mode for highlighting/annotating log files or other docs?
@ 2010-06-23 22:49 Brendan Miller
From: Brendan Miller @ 2010-06-23 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have to work with large log files, and often have trouble keeping
track of what's going on in different sections of the log.

I was thinking it would be great if I had a way to mark parts of the
text as different colors, so I had a visual way of keeping track of
different segments of my logs. Like, maybe just select a region and
issue a "make-blue" command or something like that.

Another idea would be to have a margin off to the left which I could
leave notes in.

Is there any mode that implements something like this?

Thanks,
Brendan

* Re: mode for highlighting/annotating log files or other docs?
@ 2010-06-23 23:17 ` Brendan Miller
       [not found] ` <mailman.10.1277335073.8163.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Brendan Miller @ 2010-06-23 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ok, to answer my own question, you can just assign keybindings to
these commands in order to colorize text:

facemenu-set-default
facemenu-set-bold
facemenu-set-italic
facemenu-set-bold-italic
facemenu-set-underline
facemenu-set-face
facemenu-set-foreground

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Format-Faces.html#Format-Faces

@ 2010-06-24  0:06   ` B. T. Raven
       [not found]   ` <fadfc54c-c4ed-40b0-9c80-5c1b0e6b334a@d37g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2010-06-24  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Brendan Miller wrote:
> Ok, to answer my own question, you can just assign keybindings to
> these commands in order to colorize text:
>
> facemenu-set-default
> facemenu-set-bold
> facemenu-set-italic
> facemenu-set-bold-italic
> facemenu-set-underline
> facemenu-set-face
> facemenu-set-foreground
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Format-Faces.html#Format-Faces

Make sure you issue an M-x enriched mode before you save the log file or
the text properties will be lost. Another option is to design some kind
of logfile mode that knows about your logfile format.

@ 2010-06-24  7:46 ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-06-24  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Brendan Miller writes:
> I have to work with large log files, and often have trouble keeping
> track of what's going on in different sections of the log.
>
> I was thinking it would be great if I had a way to mark parts of the
> text as different colors, so I had a visual way of keeping track of
> different segments of my logs.

http://log4j-mode.sourceforge.net/ ? "Log4j mode is a major mode for
viewing log files in Emacs. It can be used to view any text based log
file, even though the name refers to a specific logging package. Log4j
mode provides syntax highlighting, filtering, and source code browsing."

@ 2010-06-24 16:25     ` Vagn Johansen
From: Vagn Johansen @ 2010-06-24 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

unfrostedpoptart <david@therogoffs.com> writes:

> On Jun 23, 4:17 pm, Brendan Miller <catph...@catphive.net> wrote:
>> Ok, to answer my own question, you can just assign keybindings to
>> these commands in order to colorize text:
>>
>> facemenu-set-default
>> facemenu-set-bold
>> facemenu-set-italic
>> facemenu-set-bold-italic
>> facemenu-set-underline
>> facemenu-set-face
>> facemenu-set-foreground
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Format-Faces...
>>
>> 2010/6/23 Brendan Miller <catph...@catphive.net>:
>>

>> > I have to work with large log files, and often have trouble keeping
>> > track of what's going on in different sections of the log.
>
> I never knew about this and it looked interesting. However, when I
> tried it, I found it is useless in any buffer that is using a font-
> lock mode, which is 99% of everything I do.
> Any way to get this to work, or something similar, for font-locked
> buffers?
>
>  David

hi-lock-mode

See the manual under "Interactive Highlighting"

--
Vagn Johansen

* RE: mode for highlighting/annotating log files or other docs?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-07-02 17:01 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-07-02 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Brendan Miller', help-gnu-emacs

> I have to work with large log files, and often have trouble keeping
> track of what's going on in different sections of the log.
>
> I was thinking it would be great if I had a way to mark parts of the
> text as different colors, so I had a visual way of keeping track of
> different segments of my logs. Like, maybe just select a region and
> issue a "make-blue" command or something like that.
>
> Another idea would be to have a margin off to the left which I could
> leave notes in.
>
> Is there any mode that implements something like this?

In addition to what others have mentioned to you, you might consider using
bookmarks.

With Bookmark+, you can tag bookmarks (in addition to annotating them), and you
can highlight them in various ways.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BookmarkPlus