all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnuchess & EmacsChess - chess.el
@ 2004-01-02 14:35 sebyte
From: sebyte @ 2004-01-02 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

First of all my problem is with chess.el, not gnuchess.  Forgive me if this is
off topic.  As you have probably surmised, I'm trying to run chess.el (v2.0b3)
in conjunction with gnuchess (v5.0.4) within Emacs 21.2.1 on MacOS 10.3.2.  The
instructions provided as comments at the top of chess.el state the following:

;; This program will not play chess against you; it is not a chess

;; computer.  It can use a chess computer, however, to simulate your

;; opponent's moves.  This is decided when you choose your opponent.

;; You must, of course, have that chess computer installed.  See the

;; top of chess-player.el for more information.

;;

;; To just get a chessboard up, put the following in your .emacs file:

;;

;;   (add-to-list 'load-list "<the path to Emacs Chess>")

;;

;;   (autoload 'chess "chess" "Play a game of chess" t)

;;

;; Now you can type `M-x chess', and play chess against anyone else in

;; the room with you, without having to install anything more.

First of all chess-player.el appears to be missing in the tarball I have
downloaded from the SourceForge project site.  Secondly, my .emacs can only be
successfully read if I change " 'load-list " to " 'load-path " but then, when I
execute the command 'M-x chess', I get the following message:

Cannot open load file: chess

Not being elisp enabled, I am at something of an impasse.  Any help much
appreciated.

sebyte

* Re: gnuchess & EmacsChess - chess.el
@ 2004-01-09 16:25 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-01-09 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

sebyte wrote:

> ;;   (add-to-list 'load-list "<the path to Emacs Chess>")
> ;;
> ;;   (autoload 'chess "chess" "Play a game of chess" t)
> ;;
> ;; Now you can type `M-x chess', and play chess against anyone else in
> ;; the room with you, without having to install anything more.
>
> First of all chess-player.el appears to be missing in the tarball I have
> downloaded from the SourceForge project site.  Secondly, my .emacs can
> only be successfully read if I change " 'load-list " to " 'load-path "

Correct.

> but then, when I execute the command 'M-x chess', I get the following
> message:
>
> Cannot open load file: chess
>
> Not being elisp enabled, I am at something of an impasse.  Any help much
> appreciated.

You probably added the full pathname of chess.el to load-path, instead of

just the pathname of its directory.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: gnuchess & EmacsChess - chess.el
@ 2004-01-09 17:28   ` sebyte
From: sebyte @ 2004-01-09 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You probably added the full pathname of chess.el to load-path, instead of
>
> just the pathname of its directory.

Right again, (although I must credit myself for figuring this out myself :-)

Thanks.

sebyte