all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* what-cursor-position doesn't show the char's QP
@ 2003-12-09 22:27 Dan Jacobson
       [not found] ` <E1AU6Z0-0006j8-Tl@fencepost.gnu.org>
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-12-09 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

C-x = runs the command what-cursor-position.
I used ^u C-x = to get even more info:

  character: 他 (0451755, 152557, 0x253ed)
    charset: chinese-big5-1 (Frequently used part (A141-C67F) of Big5 (Chinese traditional))
 code point: 39 109
     syntax: word
   category: C:Chinese (Han) characters of 2-byte character sets   c:Chinese
	     |:While filling, we can break a line at this character.
buffer code: 0x98 0xA7 0xED
  file code: 0xA5 0x4C (encoded by coding system chinese-big5-unix)
       font: -ETen-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--16-150-75-75-C-160-Big5.ETen-0

But I was surprised that nowhere do I find listed the simple A5 L that I can
get here:
$ echo 他|qp-encode
=A5L

Let's try a different char:
$ echo  我|qp-encode
=A7=DA

again, none of what-cursor-position shows this.

Since it is one of the most common formats, what-cursor-position
should show it.

* Re: what-cursor-position doesn't show the char's QP
@ 2003-12-10  8:02 ` era
       [not found] ` <E1AU6Z0-0006j8-Tl@fencepost.gnu.org>
From: era @ 2003-12-10  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 06:27:45 +0800, Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org>
posted to gmane.emacs.bugs:
 >   file code: 0xA5 0x4C (encoded by coding system chinese-big5-unix)
<...>
 > But I was surprised that nowhere do I find listed the simple A5 L
 > that I can get here:
 > $ echo <character>|qp-encode
 > =A5L

It's the "file code" field. I don't think it's unreasonable for all
the characters there to be represented in hex, as "normalizing" some
of them would only make it more complex to use them programmatically.

/* era */

I took out the big5 character from the echo just to avoid some MIME mess.

--
The email address era     the contact information   Just for kicks, imagine
at iki dot fi is heavily  link on my home page at   what it's like to get

@ 2003-12-21 16:53   ` Dan Jacobson
       [not found]   ` <mailman.429.1072035331.868.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-12-21 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

RMS> What is a QP?

$ apropos qp
qp-decode (1)        - Fast Quoted Printable decoder...
$ apropos quoted
MIME::QuotedPrint (3perl) - Encoding and decoding of quoted-printable strings...

Anyway, for me QP is the daily way of describing non-ascii and wide
chars.  Much more common than say octal for me these days.  However,
too modern apparently to be thrown in as a bonus upon C-u what-cursor-position .

@ 2003-12-22 18:23     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-12-22 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Jacobson wrote:

> RMS> What is a QP?
>
> $ apropos qp
> qp-decode (1)        - Fast Quoted Printable decoder...
> $ apropos quoted
> MIME::QuotedPrint (3perl) - Encoding and decoding of quoted-printable strings...
>
> Anyway, for me QP is the daily way of describing non-ascii and wide
> chars.  Much more common than say octal for me these days.  However,
> too modern apparently to be thrown in as a bonus upon C-u what-cursor-position .

It also doesn't show the base64 encoding or the rot13 encoding, but so what?

Why is the QP encoding useful to know?

--
Kevin Rodgers