all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Running emacs lisp programs from command line or script
@ 2003-12-11  1:13 Ryan Newton
From: Ryan Newton @ 2003-12-11  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

If I want to make a command line invokable script to, say, convert emacs
enriched text documents to plain ones, how do I do it?  I want emacs to
start up, open said document, save it in plain text mode.  Easy to write
the emacs lisp code, but how do I call it from the command line.  What's
the "batch" mode for emacs?

--Ryan

* Re: Running emacs lisp programs from command line or script
@ 2003-12-11  5:44 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-12-11  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Ryan Newton <newton@ai.mit.edu>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:13:42 -0500
>
> If I want to make a command line invokable script to, say, convert emacs
> enriched text documents to plain ones, how do I do it?  I want emacs to
> start up, open said document, save it in plain text mode.  Easy to write
> the emacs lisp code, but how do I call it from the command line.  What's
> the "batch" mode for emacs?

"emacs --help" is your friend, of course ;-)

Sounds like you want "emacs -batch -l yourLisp.elc -eval ..."
(replace the Lisp form you want Emacs to evaluate once it loads your
code in yourLisp.elc).

* Re: Running emacs lisp programs from command line or script
@ 2003-12-11  6:17 ` Tim Heaney
From: Tim Heaney @ 2003-12-11  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ryan Newton <newton@ai.mit.edu> writes:

> If I want to make a command line invokable script to, say, convert
> emacs enriched text documents to plain ones, how do I do it?  I want
> emacs to start up, open said document, save it in plain text mode.
> Easy to write the emacs lisp code, but how do I call it from the
> command line.  What's the "batch" mode for emacs?

Batch. You can just run something like

  emacs -batch -l elispfile -f function inputfile

from the command line. Or make your Emacs Lisp file executable and try
the sesquicolon

  http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2002-08/msg00229.html

I hope this helps,

Tim

* Re: Running emacs lisp programs from command line or script
@ 2003-12-11 17:52   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-12-11 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Heaney wrote:

> Ryan Newton <newton@ai.mit.edu> writes:
>
>>If I want to make a command line invokable script to, say, convert
>>emacs enriched text documents to plain ones, how do I do it?  I want
>>emacs to start up, open said document, save it in plain text mode.
>>Easy to write the emacs lisp code, but how do I call it from the
>>command line.  What's the "batch" mode for emacs?
>>

> Batch. You can just run something like
>
>   emacs -batch -l elispfile -f function inputfile
>
> from the command line.

Note that command line action arguments (including files to visit) are
processed in order (see the Command Arguments and Action Arguments nodes
of the Emacs manual), so:

	emacs --batch TEXT_FILE -l ELISP_FILE -f FUNCTION -f save-buffer

--
Kevin Rodgers