all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to reload Info dir files?
@ 2003-11-24  8:47 Mike Ballard
From: Mike Ballard @ 2003-11-24  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Besides restarting emacs how can I get emacs:Info to reload dir files?  I
thought all I had to do was kill the Info buffer but for some reason (like
maybe it never worked) that's not doing it.

Mike
--

mike.ballard--at--earthlink.net

  "Roses are red, violets are blue,
   I'm schizophrenic and so am I"

* Re: how to reload Info dir files?
@ 2003-11-24 12:54 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-11-24 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: Mike Ballard <dont_w@nt_spam.org>
> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 08:47:15 GMT
>
> Besides restarting emacs how can I get emacs:Info to reload dir files?

Why do you need that?

If you go to the *info* buffer, type `d' (to get to the DIR node),
and then type "C-u C-h i", Emacs will prompt for a file name and show
the directory where it found the first DIR file (there might be
several DIR files on your system).  If you then type "dir RET", Emacs
will reload the DIR file from that directory.

Is that good enough?

* Re: how to reload Info dir files?
@ 2003-11-24 13:09 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-11-24 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 24 2003, Mike Ballard wrote:

> Besides restarting emacs how can I get emacs:Info to reload dir files?

See `rs-info-reload' from `rs-info.el' posted last week on
gnu.emacs.sources[1].  This is a newer version, using
`Info-revert-find-node' from Emacs CVS HEAD when available:

(defun rs-info-reload ()
  "Reload current info node."
  (interactive)
  (let ((file Info-current-file)
	(node Info-current-node)
	(point (point)))
    ;; Info-revert-find-node from Emacs CVS prevents jumping; use it when
    ;; available.
    (if (fboundp 'Info-revert-find-node)
	(Info-revert-find-node file node)
      (kill-buffer "*info*")
      (Info-find-node file node)
      (goto-char point))))

Bye, Reiner.

[1] <news:v9ekw6k8zj.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
<URL:http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/misc/rs-info.el>
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: how to reload Info dir files?
@ 2003-11-24 15:10 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-11-24 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Besides restarting emacs how can I get emacs:Info to reload dir files?  I
> thought all I had to do was kill the Info buffer but for some reason (like
> maybe it never worked) that's not doing it.

IIRC, this has been fixed in Emacs-CVS where killing the *info* buffer is
al you need to do (maybe it even detects it when the dir file has changed,
tho I can't remember and am too lazy to check the code).

* Re: how to reload Info dir files?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-11-24 18:48 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-24 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike Ballard wrote:

> Besides restarting emacs how can I get emacs:Info to reload dir files?  I
> thought all I had to do was kill the Info buffer but for some reason (like
> maybe it never worked) that's not doing it.

(setq Info-dir-contents nil)

--
Kevin Rodgers