all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* key binding two commands
@ 2003-11-21  9:11 Kester Clegg
From: Kester Clegg @ 2003-11-21  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Trying to bind C-c C-c so that while I'm editing latex files with auctex
it will save each time I compile the file.

I have:

(defun save-and-compileTex () ; automatic save and compile
  (save-buffer)
  (TeX-command-master))

(global-set-key "\C-c \C-c" 'save-and-compileTex)

but it doesn't work.  What's wrong?

Kester Clegg				Dept. of Computer Science,
Research Assistant (UTC)		University of York,
Tel (01904) 43 27 49			email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk

* Re: key binding two commands
@ 2003-11-21  9:49 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-11-21  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 21 2003, Kester Clegg wrote:

> Trying to bind C-c C-c so that while I'm editing latex files with auctex
> it will save each time I compile the file.
[...]
> (defun save-and-compileTex () ; automatic save and compile
    (interactive)
>   (save-buffer)
>   (TeX-command-master))
>
> (global-set-key "\C-c \C-c" 'save-and-compileTex)
                  "\C-c\C-c"

It makes no sense to use a global binding for this command.
(Additionally, your function should be renamed to, say kg-... (wrong
namespace)).

(add-hook
 'TeX-mode-hook
 (lambda ()
   (local-set-key (kbd "C-c C-c") 'save-and-compileTex)))

But a better solution IMHO would be to advice `TeX-command-master':

(defadvice TeX-command-master (around rs-TeX-command-master-save activate)
  "Save buffer before `TeX-command-master'"
  (message "Saving buffer")
  (save-buffer)
  ad-do-it)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: key binding two commands
@ 2003-11-21 11:50   ` Kester Clegg
From: Kester Clegg @ 2003-11-21 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> But a better solution IMHO would be to advice `TeX-command-master':
>
> (defadvice TeX-command-master (around rs-TeX-command-master-save activate)
>   "Save buffer before `TeX-command-master'"
>   (message "Saving buffer")
>   (save-buffer)
>   ad-do-it)
>
> Bye, Reiner.

Excellent - thanks for that.

Tel (01904) 43 27 49			email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk

* Re: key binding two commands
@ 2003-11-21 16:49   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-21 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib wrote:

> But a better solution IMHO would be to advice `TeX-command-master':
>
> (defadvice TeX-command-master (around rs-TeX-command-master-save activate)
>   "Save buffer before `TeX-command-master'"
>   (message "Saving buffer")
>   (save-buffer)
>   ad-do-it)

If there aren't any forms after ad-do-it, you can just define a before
advice (and vice versa):

(defadvice TeX-command-master (before save-buffer activate)
   "Save the buffer first."
   (save-buffer))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: key binding two commands
@ 2003-11-25 14:11   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-11-25 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 21 2003, Reiner Steib wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 21 2003, Kester Clegg wrote:
>
>> Trying to bind C-c C-c so that while I'm editing latex files with auctex
>> it will save each time I compile the file.
[...]
> But a better solution IMHO would be to advice `TeX-command-master':
[...]

I guess the best solution is...

,----[ C-h v TeX-save-query RET ]
| TeX-save-query's value is t
|
| Documentation:
| *If non-nil, ask user for permission to save files before starting TeX.
`----

I intended to add this to AUCTeX, but it was already there. :-)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)