all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* browse url function and w3m
@ 2003-11-17  5:34 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-11-17  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

How can I set `browse-url-browser-function' to `w3m-browse-url'
but only when html-helper-mode is invoked?

* Re: browse url function and w3m
       [not found] <mailman.149.1069050994.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-17 17:08 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-17 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam wrote:

> How can I set `browse-url-browser-function' to `w3m-browse-url'
> but only when html-helper-mode is invoked?

Just a guess:

(add-hook 'html-helper-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (set (make-local-variable 'browse-url-browser-function)
		 'w3m-browse-url)))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: browse url function and w3m
@ 2003-11-17 18:06   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-11-17 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> How can I set `browse-url-browser-function' to `w3m-browse-url'
>> but only when html-helper-mode is invoked?
>
> Just a guess:
>

> (add-hook 'html-helper-mode-hook
> 	  (lambda ()
> 	    (set (make-local-variable 'browse-url-browser-function)
> 		 'w3m-browse-url)))

Good guess Kevin thanks.  I see there is another problem involved and
maybe pushing my luck here but here goes:

With the above in place, the effect is for w3m to browse the subject
file (in working html buffer) when one calles `browse-url-of-file'.
Only problem is that it pulls it up in a *w3m* buffer you then have to
switch to.

I don't see a function in w3m commands that will make it appear in
another window or even frame, can you take a guess at how to make the
browsed file appear in an immediately accessable window or even for
focus to switch to wherever it is being browsed?

* Re: browse url function and w3m
@ 2003-11-17 19:32     ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]       ` <mailman.227.1069179948.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-17 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam wrote:

> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
>

>>Harry Putnam wrote:
>>

>>>How can I set `browse-url-browser-function' to `w3m-browse-url'
>>>but only when html-helper-mode is invoked?
>>>
>>Just a guess:
>>

>>(add-hook 'html-helper-mode-hook
>>	  (lambda ()
>>	    (set (make-local-variable 'browse-url-browser-function)
>>		 'w3m-browse-url)))
>>

> Good guess Kevin thanks.  I see there is another problem involved and
> maybe pushing my luck here but here goes:
>
> With the above in place, the effect is for w3m to browse the subject
> file (in working html buffer) when one calles `browse-url-of-file'.
> Only problem is that it pulls it up in a *w3m* buffer you then have to
> switch to.
>
> I don't see a function in w3m commands that will make it appear in
> another window or even frame, can you take a guess at how to make the
> browsed file appear in an immediately accessable window or even for
> focus to switch to wherever it is being browsed?

Try setting w3m-pop-up-windows to nil and w3m-popup-frames to t.  Or add
"*w3m*" to special-display-buffer-names.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: browse url function and w3m
@ 2003-11-18 17:23       ` Harry Putnam
       [not found]       ` <mailman.227.1069179948.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-11-18 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

>>>Just a guess:
>>>

>>>(add-hook 'html-helper-mode-hook
>>>	  (lambda ()
>>>	    (set (make-local-variable 'browse-url-browser-function)
>>>		 'w3m-browse-url)))
>>>
>> Good guess Kevin thanks.  I see there is another problem involved
>> and
>> maybe pushing my luck here but here goes:
>> With the above in place, the effect is for w3m to browse the subject
>> file (in working html buffer) when one calles `browse-url-of-file'.
>> Only problem is that it pulls it up in a *w3m* buffer you then have to
>> switch to.
>> I don't see a function in w3m commands that will make it appear in
>> another window or even frame, can you take a guess at how to make the
>> browsed file appear in an immediately accessable window or even for
>> focus to switch to wherever it is being browsed?
>
> Try setting w3m-pop-up-windows to nil and w3m-popup-frames to t.  Or add
> "*w3m*" to special-display-buffer-names.

Well, the first part fails:

M-:  (setq w3m-pop-up-windoes nil) <RET>
M-:  (setq w3m-pop-up-frames t) <RET>

Then `browse-url-of-file' still retrieves the content of html file to
*w3m* buffer.
>From *Messages*:
  The content (file:/var/www/html/index.html) has been retrieved in
  *w3m*

M-: (setq special-display-buffer-names "*w3m*")
  Above is ASTERISKw3mASTERISK
or (setq special-display-buffer-names "w3m")
  no asterisks

Neither of those cause the buffer to be displayed either.  It stll
shows up in *w3m* undisplayed.

M-: (setq special-display-buffer-names ' "*w3m*")
Doesn't do it either.

Finally: Eval: (set-default special-display-regex (w3m)) <RET>

Actually works but causes an error too.
eval: Wrong type argument: symbolp, "w3m"

I'm having serious trouble getting the lisp right.

@ 2003-11-18 19:15         ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]           ` <mailman.237.1069193679.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-18 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam wrote:

> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
>>Try setting w3m-pop-up-windows to nil and w3m-popup-frames to t.  Or add
>>"*w3m*" to special-display-buffer-names.
>
> Well, the first part fails:
>
> M-:  (setq w3m-pop-up-windoes nil) <RET>
> M-:  (setq w3m-pop-up-frames t) <RET>

Note: -windows, not -windoes.

> Then `browse-url-of-file' still retrieves the content of html file to
> *w3m* buffer.
>>From *Messages*:
>   The content (file:/var/www/html/index.html) has been retrieved in
>   *w3m*

You didn't ask for it to be retrieved into a different buffer, just for
the *w3m* buffer to be selected.

> M-: (setq special-display-buffer-names "*w3m*")
>   Above is ASTERISKw3mASTERISK
> or (setq special-display-buffer-names "w3m")
>   no asterisks
>
> Neither of those cause the buffer to be displayed either.  It stll
> shows up in *w3m* undisplayed.
>
> M-: (setq special-display-buffer-names ' "*w3m*")
> Doesn't do it either.
>
> Finally: Eval: (set-default special-display-regex (w3m)) <RET>
>
> Actually works but causes an error too.
> eval: Wrong type argument: symbolp, "w3m"
>
> I'm having serious trouble getting the lisp right.

special-display-buffer-names is a list of strings:

(setq special-display-buffer-names
       (cons "*w3m*" special-display-buffer-names))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: browse url function and w3m
@ 2003-11-18 21:12           ` Harry Putnam
       [not found]           ` <mailman.237.1069193679.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-11-18 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
>>>Try setting w3m-pop-up-windows to nil and w3m-popup-frames to t.  Or add
>>>"*w3m*" to special-display-buffer-names.
>> Well, the first part fails:
>> M-:  (setq w3m-pop-up-windoes nil) <RET>
>> M-:  (setq w3m-pop-up-frames t) <RET>

> Note: -windows, not -windoes.

I hope that was a typo but in any event it still doesn't produce the
desired results even when spelled correctly:
Eval: (setq w3m-pop-up-windows nil)
Eval: (setq w3m-pop-up-frames t)

browse-url-of-file  still pulls it into an unseen buffer (*w3m*)

> You didn't ask for it to be retrieved into a different buffer, just for
> the *w3m* buffer to be selected.

Being selected would make it visible right?  Its not here.

> special-display-buffer-names is a list of strings:

(setq special-display-buffer-names
      (cons "*w3m*" special-display-buffer-names))

Evalling above verbatim:
Eval: (setq special-display-buffer-names
      (cons "*w3m*" special-display-buffer-names)) <RET>

And then running browse-url-of-file still doens't come up in a
visible window or frame.

@ 2003-11-19 17:28             ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-19 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam wrote:

> I hope that was a typo but in any event it still doesn't produce the
> desired results even when spelled correctly:
> Eval: (setq w3m-pop-up-windows nil)
> Eval: (setq w3m-pop-up-frames t)
>
> browse-url-of-file  still pulls it into an unseen buffer (*w3m*)
> Eval: (setq special-display-buffer-names
>       (cons "*w3m*" special-display-buffer-names)) <RET>
>
> And then running browse-url-of-file still doens't come up in a
> visible window or frame.

Perhaps html-helper-mode is interfering then.  I can't tell because its source

isn't available at the moment.

--
Kevin Rodgers