all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Adam Hardy <emacs@cyberspaceroad.com>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: getting rid of button bar
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 09:18:16 +0100	[thread overview]

On 10/27/2003 01:53 PM Reiner Steib wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27 2003, someone asked per private mail:
> Create a new one.  The name is »~/.Xresources« -- the dot was missing
> in my previous posting.  Normally it's read automatically when the X
> server is started.  If not, you need to enter »xrdb -merge
> ~/.Xresources« or put this in your ~/.xsession (or
> /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession).
>
>>- why is it better to use it? I have all my emacs config stuff in my
>>one .emacs file, and having two places to configure stuff would IMHO
>>not make anything better.
>
> If you do it in »~/.emacs«, Emacs starts *with* a tool bar (which
> obviously doesn't make much sense) and removes it later.  Compare the
> two calls below.  You'll see that they lead to different sizes of the
> Emacs frame.
>
> emacs -q -no-site-file -xrm 'Emacs.toolBar: 0' -geometry 80x20
>
> emacs -q -no-site-file -xrm 'Emacs.toolBar: 1' -geometry 80x20 \
>   -eval '(tool-bar-mode -1)

I have now got an .Xresources file and have neatly got rid of my menu,
tool and scrollbars. However in KDE, my emacs icon is set to launch
emacs with this:

kstart --maximize emacs %f

and somehow it is not maximizing it properly. There is a 1 cm gap
between the bottom of emacs and my KDE menu.

I just checked over my .emacs file and unless I've gone blind, there's
nothing in there affecting it.

Thanks
Adam

--