all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* flyspell-auto-correct-word many wrong-type-argument
@ 2003-08-31  0:29 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-08-31  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today I happened to have debug-on-error t, and saw
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument vectorp nil)
  define-abbrev(nil "hittng" "hitting")
  flyspell-auto-correct-word()
  call-interactively(flyspell-auto-correct-word)

It does correct the word though.
http://jidanni.org/comp/emacs.txt is my .emacs file.

Another:
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument vectorp nil)
  define-abbrev(nil "happpen" "happen")...

* Re: flyspell-auto-correct-word many wrong-type-argument
       [not found] <mailman.1326.1062294977.29551.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-02 16:54 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.444.1064004284.21628.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-09-02 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Jacobson wrote:

> Today I happened to have debug-on-error t, and saw
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument vectorp nil)
>   define-abbrev(nil "hittng" "hitting")
>   flyspell-auto-correct-word()
>   call-interactively(flyspell-auto-correct-word)
>
> It does correct the word though.
> http://jidanni.org/comp/emacs.txt is my .emacs file.
>
> Another:
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument vectorp nil)
>   define-abbrev(nil "happpen" "happen")...

What is the value of flyspell-use-global-abbrev-table-p?

What was the buffer's major mode?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: flyspell-auto-correct-word many wrong-type-argument
@ 2003-09-19 19:03   ` Dan Jacobson
       [not found]   ` <mailman.444.1064004284.21628.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-09-19 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sometimes flyspell-auto-correct-word does its job when esc tab is hit, but
complains in the minibuffer "Wrong type argument: vectorp: nil".

K> What is the value of flyspell-use-global-abbrev-table-p ?

nil

K> What was the buffer's major mode?

Message mode.

8 lines matching " minor mode" in buffer *Help*.
      2:For minor modes, see following pages.
    157:Mml minor mode (indicator MML):
    159:MML is the MIME Meta Language, a minor mode for composing MIME articles.
    201:Mc-Write minor mode (indicator MC-w):
    215:Flyspell minor mode (indicator Fly):
    220:With a prefix argument ARG, turn Flyspell minor mode on iff ARG is positive.
    244:Abbrev minor mode (indicator Abbrev):
    250:auto-fill-function minor mode (indicator Fill):

in fact it happens as I compose this message too, so add SC minor mode
(supercite) to the above.

Wait, if I (setq flyspell-use-global-abbrev-table-p t) the problem
goes away.

I see, I will do this in .emacs to hush up the problem, while the
elves will please fix it behind the scenes.

@ 2003-09-22 15:39     ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]       ` <mailman.630.1064407708.21628.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-09-22 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Jacobson wrote:

> Sometimes flyspell-auto-correct-word does its job when esc tab is hit, but
> complains in the minibuffer "Wrong type argument: vectorp: nil".

> K> What is the value of flyspell-use-global-abbrev-table-p ?
>
> nil
>
> K> What was the buffer's major mode?
>
> Message mode.
>
> 8 lines matching " minor mode" in buffer *Help*.
>       2:For minor modes, see following pages.
>     157:Mml minor mode (indicator MML):
>     159:MML is the MIME Meta Language, a minor mode for composing MIME articles.
>     201:Mc-Write minor mode (indicator MC-w):
>     215:Flyspell minor mode (indicator Fly):
>     220:With a prefix argument ARG, turn Flyspell minor mode on iff ARG is positive.
>     244:Abbrev minor mode (indicator Abbrev):
>     250:auto-fill-function minor mode (indicator Fill):
>
> in fact it happens as I compose this message too, so add SC minor mode
> (supercite) to the above.
>
> Wait, if I (setq flyspell-use-global-abbrev-table-p t) the problem
> goes away.
>
> I see, I will do this in .emacs to hush up the problem, while the
> elves will please fix it behind the scenes.

The problem is here:

(defun flyspell-abbrev-table ()
   (if flyspell-use-global-abbrev-table-p
       global-abbrev-table
     local-abbrev-table))

Since local-abbrev-table can be nil, flyspell-abbrev-table can return nil.
Should its callers check for that, or should it be changed to return an
abbrev table:

(defun flyspell-abbrev-table ()
   (cond (flyspell-use-global-abbrev-table-p global-abbrev-table)
         (local-abbrev-table)
         (t (setq local-abbrev-table (make-abbrev-table)))))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: flyspell-auto-correct-word many wrong-type-argument
@ 2003-09-24 12:47       ` Richard Stallman
       [not found]       ` <mailman.630.1064407708.21628.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-09-24 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Does this replacement function give good results?

(defun flyspell-abbrev-table ()
  (if flyspell-use-global-abbrev-table-p
      global-abbrev-table
    (or local-abbrev-table global-abbrev-table)))

@ 2003-09-24 17:09         ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-09-24 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman wrote:

> Does this replacement function give good results?
>
> (defun flyspell-abbrev-table ()
>   (if flyspell-use-global-abbrev-table-p
>       global-abbrev-table
>     (or local-abbrev-table global-abbrev-table)))

It prevents the error, but has the undesirable effect of using the
global abbrev table when flyspell-use-global-abbrev-table-p is nil.

--
Kevin Rodgers