all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how improve these "rough edges" to pdb (python debugger) on Emacs???....
@ 2003-09-08 21:07 Christian Seberino
From: Christian Seberino @ 2003-09-08 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Have you noticed when you try to launch pdb (python debugger)
that it assumes pdb is in the current directory??

You must manually type this on Red Hat Linux....

/usr/lib/python2.2/pdb.py myfile.py

*** Is there someway to 1. hardwire the path to pdb and
                                    2. the filename to current buffer editing???

Finally, you must press "step" a few times to actually load your
file and begin stepping thru it.  It would be nicer if file automatically
was loaded and ready to be stepped thru.

Any of this sound familiar???

Chris

* Re: how improve these "rough edges" to pdb (python debugger) on Emacs???....
@ 2003-09-08 23:30 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-09-08 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christian Seberino wrote:

> Have you noticed when you try to launch pdb (python debugger)
> that it assumes pdb is in the current directory??

No, it assumes pdb is in exec-path (which is initialized from your PATH
environment variable).

> You must manually type this on Red Hat Linux....
>
> /usr/lib/python2.2/pdb.py myfile.py
>
> *** Is there someway to 1. hardwire the path to pdb and

(setq gud-pdb-command-name "/usr/lib/python2.2/pdb.py")

>                                     2. the filename to current buffer editing???

See my message Re: how to automate these steps in STARTING debuggers??? (gdb,
pdb, etc.).  Just substitute "pdb" for "gdb".

> Finally, you must press "step" a few times to actually load your
> file and begin stepping thru it.  It would be nicer if file automatically
> was loaded and ready to be stepped thru.

Maybe you could put the appropriate commands into a .gdbinit file in the

source file's directory.

--
Kevin Rodgers