all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Grep suggestion
@ 2003-08-12  9:06 David Flynn
From: David Flynn @ 2003-08-12  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Would it be possible in grep to have a flag to
highlight matched text. This would make it easier to
find where the match was on long lines.

David

* Re: Grep suggestion
       [not found] <mailman.333.1060679311.29551.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-08-12 14:52 ` Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2003-08-12 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try igrep.el, by Kevin Rodgers. It is quite nice!

You can find one version at http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~stephen/emacs/ell.html
Kevin may have a more up-to-date version that he could give you. I'm sure
he'll see the grep subject line and jump in.

--
Javier

"David Flynn" <dav75uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Would it be possible in grep to have a flag to
> highlight matched text. This would make it easier to
> find where the match was on long lines.
>
> David

> Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
> Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/

* Re: Grep suggestion
@ 2003-08-13 21:09   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-08-13 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Please don't top-post.]

Javier Oviedo wrote:

 > Try igrep.el, by Kevin Rodgers. It is quite nice!

Thanks, but igrep.el doesn't provide any highlighting features.

 > You can find one version at http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~stephen/emacs/ell.html
 > Kevin may have a more up-to-date version that he could give you. I'm sure
 > he'll see the grep subject line and jump in.

The Emacs Lisp List has version 2.95 of igrep.el, which is the most recent
version that I've released.  I plan to post a new version Real Soon Now, as
soon as I get some bugs fixed in the menu support.

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2003-08-15 20:22 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-08-15 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Flynn wrote:

>  Would it be possible in grep to have a flag to
> highlight matched text. This would make it easier to
> find where the match was on long lines.

I don't think that's feasible, because the regex used to match text is
buried in grep's COMMAND argument.  My igrep.el package reads separate
REGEX and FILES arguments, which makes it much easier, and Javier and I
are working to get your suggestion implemented.  Look for it on
gnu.emacs.sources in the next few weeks.

--
Kevin Rodgers