all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* source newer than elc file & make error
@ 2003-06-13  0:41 Vinicius Jose Latorre
From: Vinicius Jose Latorre @ 2003-06-13  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

Emacs is complaining that some source files are newer than the byte-compiled
file.  The files are the following:

bindings.el
buff-menu.el
comint.el
cus-edit.el
dabbrev.el
desktop.el
dired.el
files.el
frame.el
gdb-ui.el
info.el
mwheel.el
shell.el
simple.el
skeleton.el
sort.el
vc-hooks.el
whitespace.el
windmove.el

So, I deleted the corresponding *.elc and tried to byte-compile them using
make, but now it happens the following error:

gcc -nostdlib `./prefix-args -Xlinker  -R/usr/X11R6/lib -z nocombreloc`
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -o temacs pre-crt0.o /usr/lib/crt1.o /usr/lib/crti.o
dispnew.o frame.o scroll.o xdisp.o xmenu.o window.o charset.o coding.o
category.o ccl.o cm.o term.o xfaces.o xterm.o xfns.o xselect.o xrdb.o
fontset.o xsmfns.o emacs.o keyboard.o macros.o keymap.o sysdep.o
buffer.o filelock.o insdel.o marker.o minibuf.o fileio.o dired.o
filemode.o cmds.o casetab.o casefiddle.o indent.o search.o regex.o
undo.o alloc.o data.o doc.o editfns.o callint.o eval.o floatfns.o fns.o
print.o lread.o abbrev.o syntax.o unexelf.o bytecode.o process.o
callproc.o region-cache.o sound.o atimer.o doprnt.o strftime.o
intervals.o textprop.o composite.o md5.o   terminfo.o lastfile.o
vm-limit.o  widget.o mktime.o   ../lwlib/liblw.a -L/usr/X11R6/lib
-lXaw3d -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXext -ltiff -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lm -lungif
-lXpm -lX11  -lncurses   -lm -lgcc -lc -lgcc /usr/lib/crtn.o
make[1]: *** No rule to make target
`/home/vinicius/work/emacs/src/../lisp/buff-menu.elc', needed by
`../etc/DOC'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/vinicius/work/emacs/src'
make: *** [src] Error 2

Vinicius

* Re: source newer than elc file & make error
@ 2003-06-13  1:20 ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2003-06-13  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Vinicius Jose Latorre wrote:

   Emacs is complaining that some source files are newer than the byte-compiled
   file.  The files are the following:

I just bootstrapped without any problems.  The byte-compiled files in
question are newer than their source files.

In INSTALL-CVS, it says:

If the above procedure fails, try "make bootstrap"

Did you try to update and then:

make distclean
./configure
make bootstrap

and do you still have problems after that?

Sincerely,

Luc.

* Re: source newer than elc file & make error
@ 2003-06-13  9:59 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2003-06-13  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Vinicius Jose Latorre <viniciusjl@ig.com.br> writes:

|> So, I deleted the corresponding *.elc and tried to byte-compile them using
|> make, but now it happens the following error:

If you have a src/emacs from a previous build you can just do "make -C
lisp compile".

Andreas.

SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg

* Re: source newer than elc file & make error
@ 2003-06-13 12:31   ` Vinicius Jose Latorre
From: Vinicius Jose Latorre @ 2003-06-13 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Luc Teirlinck wrote:

>Vinicius Jose Latorre wrote:
>
>   Emacs is complaining that some source files are newer than the byte-compiled
>   file.  The files are the following:
>
>I just bootstrapped without any problems.  The byte-compiled files in
>question are newer than their source files.
>
>In INSTALL-CVS, it says:
>
>If the above procedure fails, try "make bootstrap"
>
>Did you try to update and then:
>
>make distclean
>./configure
>make bootstrap
>
>and do you still have problems after that?

Hum, yes, I've just "make bootstrap"  and all it's working now.

Thanks,

Vinicius