all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Automatically Close Brace in C++ Mode
@ 2003-06-09  2:00 shawshank
From: shawshank @ 2003-06-09  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Folks,

Is there a way to make emacs print a closing brace as soon as the
opening brace is typed?

Thanks.

* Re: Automatically Close Brace in C++ Mode
@ 2003-06-09  9:06 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2003-06-09  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

 shawshank> Hi Folks, Is there a way to make emacs print a closing
 shawshank> brace as soon as the opening brace is typed?

Its been a while since I've done any C/C++, but I think one of the
"electric" options for the mode will do this. Check out the
customize-group for the mode and enable some of the electric stuff.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Automatically Close Brace in C++ Mode
@ 2003-06-09 13:42 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-09 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there a way to make emacs print a closing brace as soon as the
> opening brace is typed?

(setq skeleton-pair t)
(global-set-key "(" 'skeleton-pair-insert-maybe)
(global-set-key "[" 'skeleton-pair-insert-maybe)
(global-set-key "{" 'skeleton-pair-insert-maybe)

But since C++ mode rebinds most of these keys, you need to overrule
those bindings with your own:

(add-hook 'c-common-mode-hook
  (lambda ()
    (local-set-key "(" 'skeleton-pair-insert-maybe)
    (local-set-key "[" 'skeleton-pair-insert-maybe)
    (local-set-key "{" 'skeleton-pair-insert-maybe)))

-- Stefan