all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* inserting date automatically
@ 2003-05-30 17:09 John L Fjellstad
From: John L Fjellstad @ 2003-05-30 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using psgml-mode to write my html files.

How do I get the same functionality as html-helper's automatic date update?
(everything between <!-- hhmts start --> and <!-- hhmts end --> gets
replaced with the updated date-time stamp).

Also, any recommendation on websites that deal with issues like this? (how
to add simple functionality etc)?

John L. Fjellstad

* Re: inserting date automatically
@ 2003-05-30 19:44 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-30 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

John L Fjellstad <john-news@fjellstad.org> writes:

> How do I get the same functionality as html-helper's automatic date update?
> (everything between <!-- hhmts start --> and <!-- hhmts end --> gets
> replaced with the updated date-time stamp).

Emacs comes with time-stamp.el which has this functionality.

--
This line is not blank.

* Re: inserting date automatically
@ 2003-05-31  9:45 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2003-05-31  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

 John> I'm using psgml-mode to write my html files.  How do I get the
 John> same functionality as html-helper's automatic date update?
 John> (everything between <!-- hhmts start --> and <!-- hhmts end -->
 John> gets replaced with the updated date-time stamp).

 John> Also, any recommendation on websites that deal with issues like
 John> this? (how to add simple functionality etc)?

 John> Thanks,

 John> -- John L. Fjellstad

Emacs has time-stamp mode which provides this functionality. I believe
html-helper mode uses a combination of tempo/skeleton modes to do a
lot of what it does.

For info on stuff like this, check out http://www.emacswiki.org

Tim
--
Tim Cross

* Re: inserting date automatically
@ 2003-06-01  8:12   ` John L Fjellstad
From: John L Fjellstad @ 2003-06-01  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann wrote:

> Emacs comes with time-stamp.el which has this functionality.

Thanks. I actually ended up copying the code from html-helper.  Is there are
a website or books you can recommend that deals with programming emacs?

thanks,
--

@ 2003-06-01 16:35     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-01 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

John L Fjellstad <john-news@fjellstad.org> writes:

> Thanks. I actually ended up copying the code from html-helper.  Is there are
> a website or books you can recommend that deals with programming emacs?

I guess C-h i has more info that most people can ever read...

--
This line is not blank.

* Re: inserting date automatically
@ 2003-06-01 17:42 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7682.1055277188.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-01 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Also, any recommendation on websites that deal with issues like this? (how
> to add simple functionality etc)?

C-h r i time stamp RET

* Re: inserting date automatically
@ 2003-06-03  8:48       ` John L Fjellstad
From: John L Fjellstad @ 2003-06-03  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann wrote:

> I guess C-h i has more info that most people can ever read...

I really don't find the info pages that useful.  I would never have known
about the timestamp function unless you had mentioned it, for instance,
looking through the info pages.
Hopefully, when I get the Emacs book by Stallman, it will answer more of my
questions.

--
John L. Fjellstad

* Re: inserting date automatically
@ 2003-06-03 15:33         ` Kevin Rodgers
                           ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-06-03 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

John L Fjellstad wrote:

> Kai Großjohann wrote:
>>I guess C-h i has more info that most people can ever read...
>
> I really don't find the info pages that useful.  I would never have known
> about the timestamp function unless you had mentioned it, for instance,
> looking through the info pages.

In the Emacs manual, `i timestamp' yields "Info-index: No `timestamp' in index".

But `i time-stamp' gets you to the "[Updating] Time Stamps [Automatically]" node

under "Saving [Files]".

> Hopefully, when I get the Emacs book by Stallman, it will answer more of my
> questions.

The printed Emacs Manual comes from the same TexInfo source as the online manual.

--

* Re: inserting date automatically
@ 2003-06-03 18:24         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-06-03 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: John L Fjellstad <john-news@fjellstad.org>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 08:48:33 GMT
>
> I really don't find the info pages that useful.  I would never have known
> about the timestamp function unless you had mentioned it, for instance,
> looking through the info pages.

The timestamp package is documented in the manual.  Could you please
tell what words or phrases would you use to search for what you were
looking in the index of the manual?

* Re: inserting date automatically
@ 2003-06-05  8:25         ` zbranigan
       [not found]         ` <mailman.7221.1054665034.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: zbranigan @ 2003-06-05  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

    John> Kai Großjohann wrote:
    >> I guess C-h i has more info that most people can ever read...

    John> I really don't find the info pages that useful.  I would
    John> never have known about the timestamp function unless you had
    John> mentioned it, for instance, looking through the info pages.
    John> Hopefully, when I get the Emacs book by Stallman, it will
    John> answer more of my questions.

well, you could have done something like this:

      C-h a stamp RET

gives you description like this:

    If you move the mouse over text that changes color,
    you can click mouse-2 to get more information.
    In this buffer, type RET to get full documentation.

    bbdb-timestamp-newer          M-x bbdb-timestamp-newer RET
      Command: *Display records with timestamp newer than DATE.
    bbdb-timestamp-older          M-x bbdb-timestamp-older RET
      Command: *Display records with timestamp older than DATE.
    time-stamp                    M-x time-stamp RET
      Command: Update the time stamp string in the buffer.
    time-stamp-toggle-active      M-x time-stamp-toggle-active RET
      Command: Toggle `time-stamp-active', setti  [. . .]

then you could click mouse-2 on the 'Command:' under the 'time-stamp'
entry to get a description.

See, it's really quite simple.

--
no toll on the internet; there are paths of many kinds;
whoever passes this portal will travel freely in the world

* Re: inserting date automatically
@ 2003-06-06  8:25           ` John L Fjellstad
From: John L Fjellstad @ 2003-06-06  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> The printed Emacs Manual comes from the same TexInfo source as the online
> manual.

I find thumbing through a book easier than reading a book on my computer.

From: John L Fjellstad @ 2003-06-06  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> The timestamp package is documented in the manual.  Could you please
> tell what words or phrases would you use to search for what you were
> looking in the index of the manual?

Since I didn't know about the timestamp package, I didn't look for it.
I though I had to write the functionality myself, so I was looking for how
to write a function that would automatically insert a given text given two
markers.  Once I had gotten to that point, it would be trivial to change
the given text to a timestamp.

From: John L Fjellstad @ 2003-06-06  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

zbranigan wrote:

> well, you could have done something like this:
>
>       C-h a stamp RET

Cool, didn't know about C-h a.

> See, it's really quite simple.

If you know it, it's simple. I bet Stephen Hawkins find quantum mechanics
simple:-)

--
John L. Fjellstad

* Re: inserting date automatically
                           ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found]         ` <mailman.7221.1054665034.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-08 11:18         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-08 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

John L Fjellstad <john-news@fjellstad.org> writes:

> I really don't find the info pages that useful.  I would never have known
> about the timestamp function unless you had mentioned it, for instance,
> looking through the info pages.

If you give reasonable keywords, then we can arrange it such that `i
foo' finds the documentation.
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: inserting date automatically
@ 2003-06-10 20:27   ` Jeffery B. Rancier
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7682.1055277188.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jeffery B. Rancier @ 2003-06-10 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

> C-h r i time stamp RET

C-h r
is undefined in my setup.
Jeff
,----

`----

@ 2003-06-11  6:04     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-11  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

jeff.rancier@softechnics.com (Jeffery B. Rancier) writes:

> C-h r
> is undefined in my setup.

It's a shortcut for reading the Emacs manual.  You can do it the long
way via C-h i d m Emacs RET.
--
This line is not blank.