all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Buffers displaying squares instead of fonts
@ 2003-05-10 19:43 Glen Lee Edwards
From: Glen Lee Edwards @ 2003-05-10 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I installed emacs-21.3 compiled from source on my Debian Linux stable box.  It works fine from
console, but in X the buffers display all squares instead of fonts.  The menus are readable (fonts
instead of squares).  I'm getting the following error on startup:

Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-medium-r-*--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" to type
FontStruct

I don't have the font in emacs.conf, so I don't know why it's trying to load it.  I have another
font listed as the default face font I've tried to load in other fonts but get the same results.
I'm assuming the error is that it's unable to load fonts from xfs, or the fonts it's trying to load
aren't there, but I may be wrong.

Suggestions?

Glen

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-05-10 19:43 UTC | newest]