all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs and Colors and RedHat
@ 2003-05-02 19:35 William D. Colburn (aka Schlake)
From: William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) @ 2003-05-02 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

At work we are being forced to move from Slackware to Redhat.  Aside
from the fact that backspace and delete stopped working, the biggest
problem for me is that emacs suddenly has all these colors that make it
unsuable.

I have compared lisp file and settings inside emacs from both Slackware
and Redhat, and they both seem identical.  I tried compiling a stock
emacs from the source I used to make my Slackware emacs, and it had
colors under Redhat.

Blue and some kind of purple seem to the favorite color for emacs to
use, and tragically I can't read anything in those colors.  This has
made using the help inside emacs especially painful.  I tried using
xterm-mono as my TERM, but colors still appear.

Does *anyone* know how to turn this off so that I can go back to a
readable screen with emacs?

--
William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburn@nmt.edu>
Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology

* Re: Emacs and Colors and RedHat
       [not found] <mailman.5507.1051904318.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-05-02 19:44 ` David Kastrup
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5508.1051905526.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-05-02 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"William D. Colburn (aka Schlake)" <wcolburn+help-gnu-emacs@nmt.edu> writes:

> At work we are being forced to move from Slackware to Redhat.  Aside
> from the fact that backspace and delete stopped working, the biggest
> problem for me is that emacs suddenly has all these colors that make it
> unsuable.
>
> I have compared lisp file and settings inside emacs from both Slackware
> and Redhat, and they both seem identical.  I tried compiling a stock
> emacs from the source I used to make my Slackware emacs, and it had
> colors under Redhat.
>
> Blue and some kind of purple seem to the favorite color for emacs to
> use, and tragically I can't read anything in those colors.  This has
> made using the help inside emacs especially painful.  I tried using
> xterm-mono as my TERM, but colors still appear.
>
> Does *anyone* know how to turn this off so that I can go back to a
> readable screen with emacs?

Put the following into your ~/.Xresources file:
Emacs.Background: white
Emacs.Foreground: black

* Re: Emacs and Colors and RedHat
@ 2003-05-02 19:57   ` William D. Colburn (aka Schlake)
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5508.1051905526.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) @ 2003-05-02 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Uh, no, didn't help.  Any emacs with -nw still has weird colors in it.

@ 2003-05-02 20:24     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-05-02 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"William D. Colburn (aka Schlake)" <wcolburn+help-gnu-emacs@nmt.edu> writes:

> Uh, no, didn't help.  Any emacs with -nw still has weird colors in it.
>
> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 09:44:06PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> >> Does *anyone* know how to turn this off so that I can go back to a
> >> readable screen with emacs?
> >
> >Put the following into your ~/.Xresources file:
> >Emacs.Background: white
> >Emacs.Foreground: black

With -nw, that's a different matter.  Then Emacs inherits its colors
from the xterm it is running in.  Unless it is overriden elsewhere.
What do you get for trying

  emacs -nw -q -no-site-file

Is this different?

* Re: Emacs and Colors and RedHat
@ 2003-05-02 21:43     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-05-02 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 13:57:58 -0600
> From: "William D. Colburn (aka Schlake)" <wcolburn+help-gnu-emacs@nmt.edu>
>
> Uh, no, didn't help.  Any emacs with -nw still has weird colors in it.
>
> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 09:44:06PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> >> Does *anyone* know how to turn this off so that I can go back to a
> >> readable screen with emacs?
> >
> >Put the following into your ~/.Xresources file:
> >Emacs.Background: white
> >Emacs.Foreground: black

How about "emacs -nw -q --no-site-file"?  Does that produce the
default colors you are used to?

* Re: Emacs and Colors and RedHat
@ 2003-05-02 21:56       ` William D. Colburn (aka Schlake)
From: William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) @ 2003-05-02 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 12:43:20AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>How about "emacs -nw -q --no-site-file"?  Does that produce the
>default colors you are used to?

Nope, they are still there.  As I said, I even tried copying over the
slackware emacs, and recompiling it myself with a prefix in /tmp to see.

I miss the good old days of emacs 18.

--

@ 2003-05-02 22:00         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-05-02 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 15:56:44 -0600
> From: "William D. Colburn (aka Schlake)" <wcolburn@nmt.edu>
>
> On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 12:43:20AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >How about "emacs -nw -q --no-site-file"?  Does that produce the
> >default colors you are used to?
>
> Nope, they are still there.

How about "emacs -nw -bg black -fg white"?

@ 2003-05-02 22:49 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-05-02 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) wrote:

> At work we are being forced to move from Slackware to Redhat.  Aside
> from the fact that backspace and delete stopped working, the biggest
> problem for me is that emacs suddenly has all these colors that make it
> unsuable.
> Does *anyone* know how to turn this off so that I can go back to a
> readable screen with emacs?

You haven't said what version of Emacs you were used to and what version
you're running now, what major mode you're using (what kind of files you're
editing), what minor modes are in effect, what operations you're performing,
or precisely what is being displayed.

`M-x crystal-ball' reports:

Try `C-u 0 M-x global-font-lock-mode' to turn Global Font Lock mode off.
Try `M-x list-faces-display' to display faces and customize their attributes.

--

* Re: Emacs and Colors and RedHat
@ 2003-05-03  2:47 ` zbyszek_ch
From: zbyszek_ch @ 2003-05-03  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Luis,

not a pretty solution but it should resolve your problem.

Put in your .emacs
(set-face-foreground 'font-lock-builtin-face "White")
(set-face-foreground 'font-lock-comment-face "White")
(set-face-foreground 'font-lock-function-name-face "White")
(set-face-foreground 'font-lock-string-face "White")
(set-face-foreground 'font-lock-variable-name-face "White")

:)

Cheers,
Zbyszek

@ 2003-05-03  2:49 ` zbyszek_ch
From: zbyszek_ch @ 2003-05-03  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ups, I'm sorry. I missed your name :(

Hi William,

@ 2003-05-03 17:35 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-03 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"William D. Colburn (aka Schlake)" <wcolburn+help-gnu-emacs@nmt.edu> writes:

> At work we are being forced to move from Slackware to Redhat.  Aside
> from the fact that backspace and delete stopped working, the biggest
> problem for me is that emacs suddenly has all these colors that make it
> unsuable.

I apologize for appearing to be dense, but maybe it would help if you
were to describe what's happening in more detail.  For example, you
could start describing how you start Emacs, and then you tell us what
you need to do to see unreadable colors.

And then, maybe a screenshot would be nice.

Others have tried to exercise their crystal balls, but maybe there
was too much static from the sun this week.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

@ 2003-05-05  8:39     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2003-05-05  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

 William> Uh, no, didn't help.  Any emacs with -nw still has weird
 William> colors in it.
 William> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 09:44:06PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
 >>> Does *anyone* know how to turn this off so that I can go back to
 >>> a readable screen with emacs?
 >>  Put the following into your ~/.Xresources file: Emacs.Background:
 >> white Emacs.Foreground: black
 >>
 >> -- David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

 William> -- William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburn@nmt.edu> Computer
 William> Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
 William> http://www.nmt.edu/tcc/ http://www.nmt.edu/~wcolburn

The Xresources stuff only works with X - using -nw turns off X
support. The colours you are getting when running with -nw are
probably the xterm (or whatever terminal your using to run emacs
-nw). You would have to set the xterm values in your Xresources.

Apart from X resources, you can use M-x customize-face <ret> to
customize all the faces in emacs. Note that at first, emacs will start
with the same colours, but once your .emacs file runs, it will change
to the colours you set with customize-face.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Emacs and Colors and RedHat
@ 2003-05-05 13:06   ` Peter Boettcher
From: Peter Boettcher @ 2003-05-05 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> "William D. Colburn (aka Schlake)" <wcolburn+help-gnu-emacs@nmt.edu> writes:
>
>> At work we are being forced to move from Slackware to Redhat.  Aside
>> from the fact that backspace and delete stopped working, the biggest
>> problem for me is that emacs suddenly has all these colors that make it
>> unsuable.
>
> I apologize for appearing to be dense, but maybe it would help if you
> were to describe what's happening in more detail.  For example, you
> could start describing how you start Emacs, and then you tell us what
> you need to do to see unreadable colors.
>
> And then, maybe a screenshot would be nice.
>
> Others have tried to exercise their crystal balls, but maybe there
> was too much static from the sun this week.

My crystal ball tells me that the distribution switch included an
upgrade from Emacs < v21 to Emacs == v21, which now supports colorized
tty.  Where the OP used to have straight white on black, or vice
versa, he now has beautiful font-locked color in his xterm.  I gather
that the beautiful colors are the wrong choice for his xterm color
scheme, for instance dark blue on black.  I think the OP is asking for
the means to disable color completely on TTY, but he might be even
happier with a quick way to force reasonable color choices for his
(black background?) xterm.

Of course, he might be even happier with running Emacs in its native
windowing mode, but my crystal ball has run out of steam.

-Peter

* Re: Emacs and Colors and RedHat
@ 2003-05-05 13:15     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-05-05 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Boettcher <boettcher@ll.mit.edu> writes:

> My crystal ball tells me that the distribution switch included an
> upgrade from Emacs < v21 to Emacs == v21, which now supports
> colorized tty.  Where the OP used to have straight white on black,
> or vice versa, he now has beautiful font-locked color in his xterm.
> I gather that the beautiful colors are the wrong choice for his
> xterm color scheme, for instance dark blue on black.  I think the OP
> is asking for the means to disable color completely on TTY, but he
> might be even happier with a quick way to force reasonable color
> choices for his (black background?) xterm.

Well, Emacs has different color schemes for light and dark
background, and it might have no clue about what you set the terminal
to.

frame-background-mode's value is nil

*The brightness of the background.
Set this to the symbol `dark' if your background color is dark, `light' if
your background is light, or nil (default) if you want Emacs to
examine the brightness for you.  Don't set this variable with `setq';
this won't have the expected effect.

You can customize this variable.

Defined in `faces'.

* Re: Emacs and Colors and RedHat
@ 2003-05-05 14:13           ` William D. Colburn (aka Schlake)
From: William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) @ 2003-05-05 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 01:00:27AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>How about "emacs -nw -bg black -fg white"?

Oh!  Excellent!  It was backwards from what I want though.  When I set
the -bg to white, it turned some horrible gray, but I found that by
omitting the -bg it stayed white, and the -fg worked to clean up the
colors in the letters!

I still don't know what causes it to happen on RedHat, but now that I
have a fix I'm happy.

--

@ 2003-05-05 14:18   ` William D. Colburn (aka Schlake)
From: William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) @ 2003-05-05 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 04:49:35PM -0600, Kevin Rodgers wrote:
>You haven't said what version of Emacs you were used to and what version
>you're running now, what major mode you're using (what kind of files you're
>editing), what minor modes are in effect, what operations you're performing,
>or precisely what is being displayed.

Under Redhat I'm running Emacs 21.2.  I'm used to running Emacs 21.2.  I
don't have to be editing a file at all, just trying to use the built in
help system.  Actually, it is primarily the help system that is causing
the problems.

>Try `C-u 0 M-x global-font-lock-mode' to turn Global Font Lock mode off.

I already have global-font-lock-mode off.  If I turn it on even more
weird colors appear.

>Try `M-x list-faces-display' to display faces and customize their
>attributes.

Yes!  Those are the weird colors that appear.  They are set to the
"default", which is what I like them set too.  On everything but redhat,
the default is what I want.  Even if I compile my own emacs, they appear
when I run it on a redhat box.